Reviews for "Spectro"

Firstly, I really like the concept behind this game! If games have ever used this idea before, I've sure as hell never seen it, and really enjoyed playing it, for the short time it lasted. However, with a great new concept needs to come clear instruction, to show the player just how to play and win the game. While it's not difficult to simply scroll down and read the instructions to figure out the aim, the player shouldn't have to do this - there should have been an ingame tutorial, for sure.

The graphics were fine; nothing more, nothing less. They didn't look particularly polished or fresh, but they weren't horrible. They didn't amaze, but they also didn't offend the eyes.

The music was pretty nice, with a techno beat going on in the background, immediately bringing to mind space and explosive action, which are two things the game indefinitely provided.

The controls worked well, allowing you to move around with ease, and the space bar serving as more than responsive as a means of exploding and re-incarnating as one of the previously exploded green spaceships.

I also really like the idea of a little story. While it wasn't presented in the best way imaginable, it was nice to have some form of context as to what you were doing and why, though the lack of a conclusive cutscene was a tad disappointing. Also, the hit detection on your character was unbelievably off! At times, I would narrowly escape a collision with a ship, only to explode regardless of the fact I had clearly dodged the spaceship!

In conclusion, the game was okay. The story was nice and the controls really helped to make it an enjoyable experience overall, though there was very little in the way of polish, and the lack of any REAL story was quite disappointing. Also, the biggest crime was the length! Four incredibly short levels? I recently appraised 'Yeah Jam Fury' for having a whopping 46 levels, with this game falling a whole 42 levels behind! So, if you make the game a whole lot longer, with better attention to detail, this fantastic idea could well be executed to its full potential. As it stands, though, this is a great idea, let down by a poor technical effort.

2/5
4/10
40%

mr-johnson22 responds:

Thanks for the insightful review! I agree with the gripes you have with this game, especially the lack of in-game instructions. We left putting them in to the last minute, and didn't end up with any time to put them in. I also refuse to put them in the game now because that would give the false impression that we gave ourselves the time to do so within the deadline. :P (Game-breaking bugs were fixed after the fact, though; I have to draw the line somewhere.)

The game was originally supposed to be a lot longer and in depth, but many ideas of how to implement such features were still up in the air by the last day of development, so we had to opt for what you see here. Even level progression was left to the very end, and the blue goal circles were a last-ditch attempt at making levels completable...looking back, I planned things out very poorly, and the game suffered as a result. But I'm glad the core idea of it was able to be conveyed to you.

What the hell has happened to Newgrounds? This game jam thing needs to be shut down, its just an excuse for bad developers to spew out their cr*p and get away with it.

mr-johnson22 responds:

Well that's why we have people like you. Calling out poor quality and rating low will stop anyone from "getting away with it," by which I presume you mean praise for shoddy workmanship. And the score for this game has been steadily dropping, so I doubt we're getting away with much here. ;)

I appreciate the honest score, but the Game Jams probably won't go anywhere--from what I got out of the experience (this was my first one) they're less for making good games and more for getting an idea together quickly enough to make something. The game being good (read: not terrible) in the end, for me at least, was a bonus. I won't defend the fact that the game is very simple, and (hopefully no longer) crash-prone, and has a lot of problems. If you don't want to play a game that was made in a weekend by non-professionals, that's fine, but NG is a place for everyone's work, even new/amateur developers, so at least don't knock the site for it.

I hate luck based mission games like this.

mr-johnson22 responds:

The original idea of this game was much more in depth, but very little managed to fit the time limit. If we ever make a "full" version of this, there'd be a lot more to it. I admit wasted too much time trying to get game mechanics to work (including those that were cut) than focusing on fun factor, so hopefully I'll make better decisions in game design next time around.

alright, dont hate on game jam... hate the games of game jam! including this one. whats the point of this? front page? really? this doesnt even deserve to exist... Darklord's right! what the hell happened to newgrounds?

this game is horrible. it starts out promising enough, but then everything goes wrong, you cant die you cant leave the area its like asteroids without guns!