Reviews for "Spectro"

Firstly, I really like the concept behind this game! If games have ever used this idea before, I've sure as hell never seen it, and really enjoyed playing it, for the short time it lasted. However, with a great new concept needs to come clear instruction, to show the player just how to play and win the game. While it's not difficult to simply scroll down and read the instructions to figure out the aim, the player shouldn't have to do this - there should have been an ingame tutorial, for sure.

The graphics were fine; nothing more, nothing less. They didn't look particularly polished or fresh, but they weren't horrible. They didn't amaze, but they also didn't offend the eyes.

The music was pretty nice, with a techno beat going on in the background, immediately bringing to mind space and explosive action, which are two things the game indefinitely provided.

The controls worked well, allowing you to move around with ease, and the space bar serving as more than responsive as a means of exploding and re-incarnating as one of the previously exploded green spaceships.

I also really like the idea of a little story. While it wasn't presented in the best way imaginable, it was nice to have some form of context as to what you were doing and why, though the lack of a conclusive cutscene was a tad disappointing. Also, the hit detection on your character was unbelievably off! At times, I would narrowly escape a collision with a ship, only to explode regardless of the fact I had clearly dodged the spaceship!

In conclusion, the game was okay. The story was nice and the controls really helped to make it an enjoyable experience overall, though there was very little in the way of polish, and the lack of any REAL story was quite disappointing. Also, the biggest crime was the length! Four incredibly short levels? I recently appraised 'Yeah Jam Fury' for having a whopping 46 levels, with this game falling a whole 42 levels behind! So, if you make the game a whole lot longer, with better attention to detail, this fantastic idea could well be executed to its full potential. As it stands, though, this is a great idea, let down by a poor technical effort.

2/5
4/10
40%

mr-johnson22 responds:

Thanks for the insightful review! I agree with the gripes you have with this game, especially the lack of in-game instructions. We left putting them in to the last minute, and didn't end up with any time to put them in. I also refuse to put them in the game now because that would give the false impression that we gave ourselves the time to do so within the deadline. :P (Game-breaking bugs were fixed after the fact, though; I have to draw the line somewhere.)

The game was originally supposed to be a lot longer and in depth, but many ideas of how to implement such features were still up in the air by the last day of development, so we had to opt for what you see here. Even level progression was left to the very end, and the blue goal circles were a last-ditch attempt at making levels completable...looking back, I planned things out very poorly, and the game suffered as a result. But I'm glad the core idea of it was able to be conveyed to you.

this game is horrible. it starts out promising enough, but then everything goes wrong, you cant die you cant leave the area its like asteroids without guns!

itd bee good, but somehow the green ships keep blowing me up even though im not touching them..balloney

good but to easy and short 3 stars

You really can tell that this game just barely got through on time.
I have a few gripes with the game, primarily the fact that you forgot to mention in your instructions that once you cause an explosion and need to grab a ship to hijack, it needs to have been an exploded ship, you need to focus the crosshairs on the orange dot in the middle of the explosion and then press space. It took me a little while to figure this out.
Also, the hit detection is extremely off. I don't know whether you programmed it poorly, or it was meant to be that the green aura of your ship is the weak spot. Either way, the ship itself should be the detection zone, not the surrounding area, which really frustrated me.
The story for the game was okay, but I would have liked maybe an ending conclusion, because it seems to have little to do with what's going on in the game.
Otherwise, I think you guys utilized the mechanic of "initiate" well, and you managed to use your entire team fully. Just wish it was a bit more polished up.

mr-johnson22 responds:

Sorry about hit detection issues. It wasn't my intention to have to aim directly on the orange dot of an explosion, and the ship was certainly suppose to be the hit zone rather than its surrounding area. I didn't give myself that much time for fine-tuning...sorry about that! Thanks for the review.