Reviews for "Monsters' Den Chronicles"

Now THIS is what a browser-ready Role-Playing Game should look like: a ground-up dungeon crawl with enough randomness and variety to keep a savvy player at it for hours at a time. Garin-Dan's series has gotten its renaissance, but this is just a step on the way to his upcoming epic, Godfall, which he should not have told his fans about so early....

Okay, so this is a dungeon crawler with comfortable familiarities. By that I mean the story is a hack and the characters are blank slates. That's okay--they're meant to be customized. You can even upload images to stand in for ordinary artwork, so you can have the luxury of forming a dream team of characters. The only drawback to that is how you cannot yet program your own abilities to approximate your ideal setup. In other words, Mario, should you use something like a sprite image, cannot pull off his cape or fireball techniques. Other characters like Solid Snake, on the other hand, may be approximated by one of the Rogue units.

The objectives, listed in a series of campaign acts, involve heading into a random-generated dungeon with a few simplistic mechanics. In this version of the series, the icon travels through each corridor and passage to its clicked destination, an odious arrangement since you cannot select instantaneous travel, assuming you played "Book of Dread." Also, the screen is very small, because if you zoom in, the graphic effects, notably fog, start to wear down the CPU. I'm not sure if this game's source code of Flash accepts graphics card support, but I bet it somehow doesn't.

The Emporium is streamlined and always available. You'll need to invest in its departments to see an upgrade in services, but otherwise things are okay. You have far more space for equipment since you're actually eating for ten; all the units are unique; buy the premium edition for a buck and get five more, greatly expanding the tactical options. Equipment may be upgraded with multiple slots. There is a spark of legend that allows a good piece of gear to level up with the character, staying on their tier. This is remarkable and takes out the annoyance of having to upgrade every few levels, even if the purple is a purple. Tiers make a little more sense; it's easier to figure out what the equipment delivers and how much per tier.

Due to time constraints and continued project development on Godfall, Chronicles has three line-ups of opponents--Undead, Fanatics, and Demons--and gone are Dwarves, Orcs, Deep Creatures, and their subsidiary, the Legendary Creatures. Those that remain each have their own Act, where they exclusively appear, while a fourth act is a survival gut check where you fight wave after wave of villains, and the fifth act is a long, engrossing challenge where everything is featured.

There are far more abilities, along with countless individual Conditions divided into broad categories (that way, certain characters can heal different kinds of afflictions). Notable are Terrain Conditions, which adjust your stats according to what the panel provides you, and Stance Conditions--three options per Unit--which adjust stats between moves and last until the next turn, where you can switch them out. This makes for some interesting setups, though each one has a drawback, like not having the benefits of the stance you switched out. Quickness has become something like Final Fantasy Tactics' Active Turn, an ongoing process rather than being static.

All in all, Monsters' Den: Chronicles does not quite blow its direct predecessor out of the water--this is but a sample of what Godfall is supposed to be like. An overworld map and return of female counterparts (and all the previous classes) are just a few of the things that are rumored to be featured in the next game. Even so, Chronicles blows most games of this category out of the water, and while that might not sound like much at times, remember the format. Sometimes, it's brilliance in simplicity. Garin-Dan has accomplished that here. Let's hope the next game features dwarves, eh?

This is a very great game. I started playing it yesterday, and in my opinion, it is too easy to level up. I have four characters that i use EVERYwhere. For my front line, I use both of the warriors and the bottom Cleric. I use the champion for tanking, the captain for major damage and the confessor for heal/tank/damage. For my back line i use the top ranger. The marksman is used for stun/heals/multi. The four characters i always use are 20,20,18 and 18. Almost all of their armor is purple, with the champions weapon being legendary. Once i had reached level 12, it became very easy. Other than the difficulty problems, this game is amazing.

If you find the medals aren't working, resetting your save data should fix it. I had this problem when I played the game before the medals were fixed. You will have to earn the medals again, but it worked for me.

As for the game itself, I've always been a huge fan of this series and thought this was a great installment with improvements in all the right places. Pay attention to your fighting styles and switch them as you need, it can really make a difference in fights.

garin-dan responds:

I'll be uploading a new version in the next couple of days that will retroactively award medals you should have already unlocked.

Kinda boring and fun at the same time :/ mostly boring cuase how you travel And fight.

This game series was awesome already and I never imagened a third game and especially not a game that is this great; I am absolutley loving it and it gives one great challenge and alot of things to do when it comes to teams, builds, equipment (this one is huge), customization, dungeons, secret rooms, strategies, baddies, etc.

The game is absolutely overwhelming in everything and it is a good thing, but it has two or three things that could be looked upon, or not as it obviously does not matter that much.

1.- The gear you get and equip soon fails to continue to be effective as the tier starts to grow as fast as your characters, there aren't enough legendary sparks or anvils to boost your favorite gear, especially in the late game when you start leveling up really fast, up until reaching level 10 I only found one spark and one anvil, but it might be just bad luck, as in my first playtrough I found two before I was level 4.

2.- There is a very drastic difficulty curve in the game, in the early game the game feels just right, hard but not too hard, then in the middle game 3 lvl -7lvl you can't catch up statwise with your enemies and your gear is normally not good and you are constantly outnumbered, so you are always weaker than the other packs.

Suddenly and just with a little nudge your party starts to kick in, you can now cleave the whole front line or charge, your ranger heals quickly and can revive, enemies start missing much more and the whole game starts to become really easy when you get all your skills and start earning +3 stat points at level up, maybe two will suffice?

3.- Lastly, the music is a bit repetetive after playing more than an hour, but I got used to it since the last iterations and I actually like it.

I want to post my build so I can help out everyone start out, I didn't expect it to work out so well because I was struggling in the mid game.

I got:

-Pure warrior (Top one), with the accuracy buff he will never miss unless blinded and you need to invest only in strength as his health levels up ALOT by it's own and he will never miss unless blinded, he's positioned in the BACK and middle with a spear (All be benefits of two handed weapons with no low defense), I took off all the heavy armor and gave him light armor, he is a beast and dies, with charge and cleave and fast speed you can really see him shine, if he gets pulled up in front then you can kick a melee character back and make it useless, he can tank also very well, but that's not his job.

-Healing ranger (Bottom one) he is the healer and support and very rarely works as something else, sometimes poison arrows, pinning, etc. Every single point goes into intellect and his setting is natures lore (The one that heals cheaper and gives health regeneration), he becomes really good and his poison becomes just really nasty when he gets higher, quickness is a great support spell if you need to pump out golems fast or heal faster or hit faster, he's the second slowest to become really effective, he also doesn't lose accuracy if you don't invest in dexterity because he levels that up naturally, he gets set up in the rear also.

-Summoner mage (Bottom one), this guy is mostly support and his range attack helps really well, his setting is the damage reducing one just in case he gets hit and invest only in intelligence, he rarely misses also for some reason, but his real strength comes from summoning war golems in case your frontliner dies or if you fight a big group, at high levels they start ripping things apart and taking most of the punishment, with such high intelligence you get a free spell quite frequently.

- Rouge (bottom one), he's also a great support and tank character in time, he's the slowest to shine, invest only in dexterity, set him sneaky (The one with evasion) and have him be the only one in front and in time he will dodge anything and dish high damage with a knife, and with sneak attack he can go for the rear line with melee, his skills also remove terrain characteristics, keep him healed and summon war golem support if in trouble.