Reviews for "Chompy"

Wow.

Step responds:

Short and sweet! Thanks haha.

But whatever, as a standalone piece this rocks!

Step responds:

JOHNFN. Yay. Thanks for dropping by!

"Screw you Step. Stop hogging all the good mixing. Some of the rest of us need it sometimes :P"

Man, I'm actually really happy with the mixing in this track. I think the sax could've been louder and the bass is a bit too full-bodied, but otherwise I actually think I nailed it for once.

"Seriously though, what are you doing with your drums around :13 (and elsewhere) to get them to sound so nice and meaty! It must be some special stardust or something."

I have no idea, man. Sometimes I just finish composing a section of music and think to myself "how the hell did I do that". I must enter some sort of trance while composing because I can almost never explain how I did anything :(.

"My only complaint about this song is that the chorus is Hit the Road Jack. I mean I can hardly complain since it's just a baseline but, eh, you know."

Yeah, funny story about that actually. I didn't even think of that song when composing this. I finished the first half of the track, went to camoshark and was like "hey look at this sweet descending bassline I invented!", to which he responded by sending me like three different tracks that use this exact same bassline, including Hit The Road Jack. Didn't feel so original after that!

"It's so fun though! I think my favorite part is at :54 when I thought that you were done with the chorus and transitioning out (in typical Step style of erring so far to the side of not repeating your best parts that you don't even do them at all, hahaha) but then it goes into this alternate take with more orchestral stabs! You totally fooled me for like 2 seconds there. :D"

Awesome, so glad you pointed that out. I feel like the nature of the game I made this for is kinda jumpy and hyper, so I wanted to reflect that by doing things like over-the-top shifts in dynamic, plenty of jazz stabs/hits or, as is the case with 0:54, haphazard rhythm changes.

"One suggestion is that at 1:01 instead of holding on the final chord you could actually keep ascending the scale. I see the cool kids doing it and it can have an equally interesting effect."

That's a cool idea. Or maybe I could keep the chord going with the strings/brass and ascend upwards with the mallets.

"My only thought is that the piece is SO dynamic I find myself wondering how it could work in a game if it's looped? I would expect something that stayed a little more in the background...
But whatever, as a standalone piece this rocks!"

Yeah, this is something that gives me a lot of trouble when composing BGM to video games. I can't bring myself to keep the dynamics limited since then I have trouble introducing variety. It's something I need to work on.

Super glad you enjoyed this. Thanks again!

Awesome track, I can't stop listening to this on loop. Props to everyone involved, y'all got my respect.

Step responds:

Glad you liked it! It's one of my recent tracks which I'm most proud of :).

Thanks for dropping by.

this song is not bad is cool!

Glad you like it!

Now I'm not to into music and such (as in making it) but it is necessary for everything we do and is very important. You deserve to be making music and do a lot with it. I just found you're profile today on the front page (congratulations by the way!) and I find you're music beautiful and amazing. You deserve more follows and being on the front page. And I know I got off topic but really good Jazz music you have here!

Step responds:

Yeah this whole frontpage thing made my day! I'm really glad you enjoy my music and thanks a lot for leaving a review!