Reviews for "Room Raider"

This game is decent in terms of its retro arcade-like,smooth gameplay and its variety of weapons,enemies and rooms,however,it lacks the control to shoot upwards as shooting while jumping at enemies(especially the bouncy spike balls) which dive from above is ineffective and sometimes,the randomly generated rooms and weapons give the character certain disadvantages(for example a magnum-like pistol against those squid-like cannons which has a high hit rate in a room with no or little cover and no controls to shoot in any other directions other than forwards and backwards),at least better weapons could be provided against more difficult enemies to make up what the controls lack or weapons could be fixed and ammo boxes could be provided in the rooms.Overall,it is a pretty good game with its medals,so good work,all it just needs are a few small improvements.

It's not a bad game. It's solid when it comes to the graphics, and sound. The game mechanics would be solid to, if they weren't so random. I like challenging games, but not with quirky, random, gimmicks, that often has the player guessing for a few seconds, figuring them out, while taking eminent damage from enemies and obstacles. I understand the ice, fire, wind, ect, elements, and those are fine things to have, but the game needs something more to ground the mechanics down. Like, get rid of the random guns, and keep to ones you think are best for particular rooms. I guarantee people will enjoy the game more if it had less randomness to it.

I played this game as soon as it was uploaded to Newgrounds. I read the instructions first, so I wasn't shocked that there were rooms with reversed controls. It certainly speaks well of your programming skills and potential as a game maker that you listened to the feedback in the reviews to tweak a few things that were frustrating for some players, like putting reverse controls in enormous letters in the appropriate rooms.

I thought the game was really well-designed. I like the graphics well enough, nothing was garish or off-putting as far as visual appeal goes. The music has a nice beat, but the sfx are a little too tinny sounding, even for this type of game. The blowback effect is a bit strong, but that's your choice as creator. Since you've changed the instakill spikes and lava into an 'hp burn' effect, the blowback is just another element of gameplay. I agree with your assessment that adding health isn't necessary because the game's premise is 'how long can you survive'.

The only improvements I would recommend besides a sfx tweak would be more variety among enemies and perhaps a toggle to adjust music and sfx volume, not just 'on' or 'off'. If you ultimately decide to add health to the game, I would limit it to an unlockable 'gauntlet' mode where there is no ceiling for numbers of rooms cleared (a player could conceivably clear hundreds of rooms in that format).

Great job, I look forward to more submissions from you.

The mechanics are good, but the game is impossible without being able to regain health.

The difficulty is one thing. First of all, it's not challenging, it's just stupidly hard. Especially on the stage with twisted controls, that's plain dumb. The character sprites are ugly as well.
I like the presentation and the idea of the game. Other than that, I'm sorry but it's just not that good of a game.