Reviews for "Castle Commander"

What About Decisions To Change The Ending? Maybe I Dont Want To Be The "MEGAMASSMURDERDARKLORD"

Well put together, but lacking in substance.

I like the style of this game; all the characters and menu items slide around in an aesthetically pleasing manner, but the overall gameplay aspect is severely underwhelming. There's very little strategy to be had in 'gathering all your clonelike dudes and clicking on their tower'. Stars aren't awarded for any real skill, but instead they're given as a reward for your ability to gather all your clonelike dudes and click on their tower, but quickly.

The fact that you must speed through the game in order to get the best stuff strikes me as a little bit odd. It seems like that kind of gameplay mechanic would be better suited to a smartphone game, something that's meant to be played for a brief five minutes while waiting for a doctor or something. (Apologies to anybody living in a country with poor health care. I'm looking at you, Americans.)

Making your way through the levels as quickly as possible isn't as easy as it sounds, considering you aren't ever given the ability to upgrade your soldiers in any way. This means you don't feel any real connection to your army, there's no real sense of visible progress, and none of that "YEAH! TAKE THAT, GAME!" feeling of gratification when you come back to a starting level with an army full of lvl. 50 Barbarian Warlocks wielding lightsabers.

Instead of different types of soldiers to unlock (a less unique, but far more substantial mechanic) you're given up to six magic abilities that can be freely cast into the frey. While this would certainly add to a game with an already interesting combat mechanic, the banality of ordering simple-minded troops around and the tedium of dealing with six individual cooldowns turns the game into whack-a-mole with medieval weaponry.

The first choice you're given (thankfully not inputting your name, because that never really makes me feel a personal connection to whichever unfortunate protagonist I've given the moniker "Cuntrag") is a selection of unit types. You're presented with your choice of four distinct armies with four distinct motivations wearing four distinct colours and wielding four distinct types of weaponry but it unfortunately leads to four utterly indistinguishable styles of gameplay.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game. The aesthetics are all very nice, cartoony and fun while still managing to convey the brutality of medieval warfare in a way that makes parents think "This could never be harmless." I didn't listen to the music, but by now I've learned to play games with my Chrome sound set to 'mute', but I'm sure it's all very fitting.

The game as a whole is a very well put together piece of work. It's just a lot shallower than I imagined. It feels as though it could've done with a fair bit more playtesting. Not just to see if everything worked properly, but to see it as an entirely new game. If you went into this game, what would you expect to see from the end result?

Hope this helps your progression in game creation in the future. If not, I hope it fuels that ever-budding fire that tells you to throw a brick through your negative critics' windows.

easy yo play but could use a sequel and some medals

Simple to use and play. Nothing to interesting that made it unique in any way. Overall it's good. To me at least. There is room for improvement. I look forward to maybe a sequel that has somethings added to it.

There's no way to quit a battle midway through, and selecting units is extremely clunky; once you select a unit, there is no way to deselect so you can easily cast your spells.