Reviews for "Your Father's Blade"

OMG Peter... This is fucking incredible! Great track!
I missed a lot of the NGADM this year, but now I have a little more time, so I'll definetly follow it now (Since the last rounds are the most competitive ones).
You did good this year, dude! And good luck this round... SoundChris is an amazing musician! Good luck to you both and I expect to hear your bests!!

Now I need to go and re-watch Memoirs of a Geisha. There's something about this piece that is really reminiscent. The level of quality in the songs submitted in this year's NGADM is really above any other year. It's genuinely incredible. You've outdone yourself with this piece Peter.

EvilRaccoon responds:

Thanks so much etherealwinds! :D

Wonderful progression. Amazing track.

"You're father's not dead; He's right here," the man said as he tapped the boy's chest twice.

My one complaint: To me, something sounds strange about the shouts that start at 02:56. I think to my ears they sound too loud, with perhaps too much high frequency. They don't even quite sound human to my ears. Is there a percussive instrument layered over them? I don't know.

This is a NGADM review.

-----

Holy. Crap. Peter. This is so beautiful! :')

I'm just waiting for the day when I see your name on the big screen. Honestly, you are a professional. Anyway, this piece was alive with emotion. It has an awe-inspiring build-up, a great theme, and solid tension that keeps things interesting. I LOVED the ethnic influence that you incorporated here. You really gave off a Hans Zimmer sound in this track; have you ever heard his score for 'The Last Samurai'? Well, this is what I was reminded of (one of my all-time favourite film scores). It has an almost traditional Japanese vibe that I adore. Okay, I'll stop rambling now. The production quality is amazing, with the instrument execution being top-notch. The female vocals are hauntingly beautiful, and the support male choir is excellent. They really add a great deal of emotion to the piece – the human voice works wonders in tapping into our feelings! The hard-hitting percussion keeps everything tied together as it echoes throughout the track. What else is there to say? I loved pretty much everything about this song. As it currently stands, this is my favourite track that you have written.

I don't mean to echo what others have said, but I have two small complaints: the male choir (shouts) towards the end (2:56 – 3:29) are a tad too loud, and the build-up, while amazing, is rather long and drawn-out. As I stated above, this piece is full of emotion. However, the longer you draw out the emotion, the less it means to the listener. I found that by 3:20, the song held far less influence. That being said, the second half of the track is, in my opinion, superior to the first half.

I feel as if all of my reviews for your tracks are the same! That's your fault for making such great music though, so I have to recycle my words and try to spit them out in new ways haha! Great work Peter...no, this is astounding work. I'm eagerly looking forward to whatever you write next. I could definitely learn a thing or two from you, heck, just by listening I have. All the best! :)

Score: 9.5/10

Wow, this really fits to the story you posted in the description. It's great movie score material, something for like any martial arts film.

Very emotional and dramatic. The flutes and the vocals along with the percussion are what I like the most on this. Well done!