Reviews for "Can Your Cow Do This?"

Oh I'm there. Thank you!

This has ended up being one of my all time favorite dubstep songs...

Composition is lacking a little imo but production is out of this world.

DID YOU REALLY HAVE TO SAMPLE A COW THOUGH. I MEAN REALLY.

Yeah though good job. Even the composition is pretty good. And it's rare I hear such good production on newgrounds. :O

introstalge responds:

That cow is actually me, so I consider it as a nice vocal addition :P Thanks for the feedback john, I've looked up to your work for ages and this means a lot! I do need to work on my composition. Originally started in Bb minor, got lost in C# pentatonic major and couldn't get any melodies to make sense after that :S

Thanks again!

This is an NGADM Round 2 Review.

Wow, that has to be the beefiest mix from the whole round, maybe rivalled by the likes of garlagan, SolarexMusic or PirateCrab. But really, the raw thump in the drums, the upfront power of the synths and the inexorable aggression in your dubstep bass are very formidable. Unlike MetalRenard, I think this sounds sweet at high volumes because it really highlights the raw sonic intensity of the sound palette you've provided here. I genuinely love the production value of your tracks, and I'm not wary of turning my volume up just to fully experience the really nifty sound manipulation such as the mini sub bass dropping in pitch at parts like 1:20 or the crisp high end you added to the snare at 3:40.

One thing I think you did particularly well in this track, and definitely better than your opponent(s), is control the rise and release of power through more satisfying buildups. Buildups like the ones leading up to 0:54 and 2:44 are simply fantastic. While it's a tried-and-true dubstep technique to build up a lot of intensity only to let it all go with some vocal sample playing on its own, followed by the bass dropping, I don't think it's ever been done with a cow sound before, or at the very least it's not something you hear everyday, I'll give you that! I admit it gave me a laugh and I will henceforth remember this track as "the cow song" because of it. The way you played a drum roll at 2:44 instead of another moo like we were all expecting, and then got the moo in later, was also very clever!

It's sometimes kind of lame to post a review after so many helpful ones were listed under it since you end up just repeating a lot of the same thing, but yeah... I agree that the actual melodies could do with some work. The only melody which I actually enjoyed was 0:42 but you rely on it as your almost sole source of an actual melody, repeating it a lot when it's actually showcased and trudging through copious amounts of sound processing and effects when it's not. Some more interesting melodies would really take this track places, and really, the melodic aspect is the only thing that's lacking (except I thought your chords were a bit loud at times but that's a minor levelling issue). Other aspects of the composition such as structures and transitions are great, which is a refreshing improvement from your Round 1 track.

That's my opinion on it. Regardless, I think it's one of the stronger submissions this round. Very solid work; keep it up!

introstalge responds:

Thanks Step for the in-depth review, I really appreciate your encouragement and criticism. I will be working really hard on my composition in the future and hopefully can make some cool stuff/

And thanks for holding the NGADM as always, it was awesome to be able to participate this year!

This is a NGADM Round 2 Review

First, a breakdown of my score:
Production: 27/30 (Great)
Composition: 23/30 (Above Average)
Instrumentation: 13.5/15 (Great)
Originality: 8/10 (Above Average)
Interest: 10/15 (Average)

Total: 81.5/100 or 8.15/10 or 4 stars (Above Average)
========
The Good:
- Really professional sounding production. Great work! This track just shines all around no matter what I listen to it on.
- The cow sound was entertaining, but I would have liked it to be more prevalent in the piece, even just one or two more times. It feels more like a easter egg than an actual gag.

The Not-so-good:
- The piece doesn't really stick in my head. It's sort of... well, just exactly what a great dubstep track should be. Aside from the moo gag, there's really nothing remarkable about it aside from it being well crafted.
- As a whole, the piece managed to not *really* overstay its welcome, but it was on the verge of it. Be careful about how long you make your pieces without having periods of strongly contrasting music to balance it out.

Keep compos(ed/ing)!