Reviews for "Can Your Cow Do This?"

This is a NGADM "Round of 16" Review!
It looks like I scored you the lowest out of all the judges. That's always a bit awkward when you have to leave a detailed review too. Well, here goes.
I guess some of it is personal bias, I find lots of the sounds in dubstep quite jarring and unless you mix it really well they come off quite harsh. Your mix is good, indeed. The drums are full, the backing synths are awesome and I love the lead sound, so awesome.

Sadly during the signature dubby bits (if that's a thing) I feel like you underestimated the power of a pure synth to blow out ear drums since their perceived volume is so much higher than a complex sound. What I mean by this is that an electric guitar won't sound as loud as a sine wave because its sound is full of harmonics and the distortioin throws those all over the place too whereas a pure sine wave or something similar seems so much louder.

tldr: What I'm trying to say is that I had to turn your song right down to listen to it, not because it was loud but because the differences from moment to moment in perceived volume made my ears hurt.

What I did like is the variation from section to section. I also think you're really good at making melodies and backings that fit really well together. That backing wouldn't have been complete without that melodie and vice versa. Complete synergie between the two.

Congrats on making it this far in the competition, it's been really tough and you did admirably. Keep it up!

introstalge responds:

Not awkward at all. I was actually hoping you'd be allocated to Group D so I could see in which areas I need to improve! Thanks for picking apart the positives and negatives, it has been very encouraging to read as well as informative. I will try to work my mixing even more for my future tracks. Thank you for the detailed review and also for being a judge for this year's NGADM :)

Heh, I can imagine a cow on stage with shades and Skrillex hairdo.

I agree with johnfn though. It seems too simple and there's areas of the track that leave me filling like it's empty. The sounds you have are amazing. I wish I could make the synths you're using, and they have such flavor. When the composition is full, it gives an amazing feeling. It's content that I'd be willing to listen to on repeat for hours.

OMG that bass synth at 02:46 is so sick! It's amazing.

Overall it feels slightly repetitive, leaves something to be desired, but there's such good awesomeness when it happens. My suggestion is that it needs another pad or something to eat up some of the empty space. For example, 01:51. The chord progression is powerful, but with how it's structured, it needs either a pad in the background or a melody that coats the top like thin frosting.

I sure would love to know what you're doing for these synths. I'd be happy to know if it's not something that requires $500 software.

Keep being awesome, you're doing good work.
-Spadezer-

introstalge responds:

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with you on sounding a bit empty. I will use some more pads in my next tracks. As for the synths, they're all Massive patches. There isn't too much processing in post either. A few Fruity Blood Overdrives, EQ and occasionally Vocodex, that's pretty much it.

Check out Barely Alive and Virtual Riot on Youtube. They have some tutorials which explain how to make these sorts of basses. They've helped me a tonne! The most important thing to get right is filter automation. Once you have that figured out, you can use pretty much any combination of wavetables and still end up with something nice.

Composition is lacking a little imo but production is out of this world.

DID YOU REALLY HAVE TO SAMPLE A COW THOUGH. I MEAN REALLY.

Yeah though good job. Even the composition is pretty good. And it's rare I hear such good production on newgrounds. :O

introstalge responds:

That cow is actually me, so I consider it as a nice vocal addition :P Thanks for the feedback john, I've looked up to your work for ages and this means a lot! I do need to work on my composition. Originally started in Bb minor, got lost in C# pentatonic major and couldn't get any melodies to make sense after that :S

Thanks again!