Reviews for "Pareidolic War"

I love the piano in part one that is such a baroque sounding passage. But I think my favorite part is part two, great build, great chord changes, awesome sounds(that air phasey synth fit so well with the strings), you really have so much talent!

Phonometrologist responds:

Interesting that you mentioned baroque, because I used a chord progression inspired by Bach that consists of three chords.
I do appreciate your kind words! Though, I would like to say that talent is overrated. The emphasis should be on the character that makes any difference. It is what we do with what we're given. You got a lot of talent yourself and so do a lot of people here. Perhaps our worldview/philosophy plays a part as well, but I've known a lot of people personally in how they lost their opportunities in projecting their talent.
I think about the opening line to Allen Ginsberg's "Howl: I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness..."

Great mood. I like the variety of the song. Each segment sounds different, yet it all fits together. It's like the song tells a story. It evokes images. The strings sound nice and emotional. I think I like the pad like elements of the song best. Like the part from 2:22 to 2:39. Of course it works best in the context of the song. Good resting point. The pds still sound great when other more prominent instruments play over them. Good luck in the competition.

Phonometrologist responds:

I'm glad you like the pad choice as well. It's a bit grainy and old sounding, and I thought it appropriate for this. And in regards to mood, I try for a more somber approach as well...then again, I don't know when I ever not strive for that.
Thank you for listening and leaving such a kind review. But kind or not, I enjoy them regardless. Likewise in terms of the competition!

Awesome how you built up the tension in the beginning. Gread soundscape. The introduction into the piano part with the reversed piano was also very cool. The piano is a little bit hard played for my taste but the chords !!! very nice. What i always really appreciate in your works is this very personal note. You really are a master when it comes to put your cinematic elements - drums, synths and stuff - right in the middle of very peaceful, incredibly nice parts and soundscapes. What i found totally awesome is how you inserted drum fills which would normaly introduce a very powerful part - but you played with this tension you have created and delayed the action. Very intelligent - especially since i know that you did this intentionally.

Overall: Again you show why you should get more recognition here ... i hope that people will understand how great you are as musician and composer. Btw - the silent sequences again reminded me a little bit of pink floyd :D This is a piece which shows a very different approach to cinematic tracks - it also reminded me a lot of m83 -oblivion (feat. susanne sundfor) .

Definitely a 5/5. Good luck man and all the best!

Chris

Phonometrologist responds:

Ha Yes! you mentioned Oblivion and you're spot on. The drums were specifically influenced by it as I wanted a similar half-time groove to be played along with this piece. Just trying to continue listening and learning with what works. You mention Pink Floyd again, and I guess they're just so ingrained within my blood stream as I've been raised by them practically. I'm happy with that comment.
Again, you're too generous with your words, mate, and I thank you for that.
And in regards to recognition, I don't know... I like it simple, and I like the small group that I know now ;-)

There is something about the sound of piano with a heavy left hand that makes my soul smile and the piano in this really hit the spot. Off-topic, but, the other day I was at a chamber concert and this pianist was playing a bunch of Chopin with a delicate left hand (namely the Scherzo in b minor) and it left me wanting.

Also, I love the effect using a reversed sound to transition creates. I think you did it twice and both times it was very effective. The only critique I can come up with is that the string melody in the section after the solo piano could have come out more.

Awesome piece and good luck!

Phonometrologist responds:

yes I thought this piano called for this particular style of playing. Not to digress too much either, but I thought about in the past how Chopin's works are supposed to be played and I thought about Liszt as he did many of his stuff. Then I thought about Evegny Kissin as he has been compared to Liszt of today. If you haven't caught him in concert yet, you better! Chopin wasn't meant to be played with a soft hand, and Chopin himself wouldn't want it any other way if he could.

I'm definitely going to re-mix and master this track after the judging, and your critique about the strings is noted. Thank you very much.

An excellent composition, but just as many other composers here on Newgrounds, you deserve way better VSTs... Or maybe just some refinement of the synths you have. The key velocity of the piano should have some more variation, or else it sounds really harsh and repetetive. No biggie, but it's not too hard to fix.

Good job, mate.

//Kabalist.

Phonometrologist responds:

Nice! I appreciate these reviews. But to be honest, I don't deserve anything. I thought about getting new synths, but I figured I'd stop spending money on libraries until there is a job calling for something specifically. I have enough now that I can mess around with, and I would have just have to spend some time with sounds instead of paying someone else for stuff. Just didn't have time to mess around with sounds for this particular project. Thanks for taking the time.