Newgrounds made a lot of infrastructure upgrades this week and needs your help!

Become a Supporter for just $3 a month or $25 for the year.

Shout out to @travsaus for megaphone tankman!

Reviews for "Attempt at Something"

Reminds me of dubstep before all the mainstream junkies came.

This has become one of my jams, officially. I’ve listened to it on repeat for hours and haven’t gotten tired of it, so here’s my review! :D
First, the beginning is intense, but a great buildup to the melody. The filter you have on it is pretty awesome and works well as a starting presentation. The mixing afterwards is so clear and bright that it is an excellent transition.
Love the riff that you have going on with the main synths, too, and the sequential synths that are added afterwards. The arpeggios are super cool and sound great, the wub that follows is a nifty way to split up the theme and add variety, and the low to high res filter also helps enhance the overall electronic feel. You really played a lot with filters, speaking of which, and I think it’s awesome how it all turned out. Everything works together well, especially that little synth break that trickles down right before you drop the bass.
The percussion, though, is what stands out to me the most. It’s extremely well-mixed; not too loud, not too thumpy, and allows the synths to shine, even though you know it would sound great on its own.
Only reason I didn’t give a ten was because of 2:04 – I felt you were building up to something that didn’t quite match up to what I was expecting. I wanted a big punchy rhythm after that and only got more synths. But it’s not as big a deal to take away from the quality of the rest of the song; I can deal with it!
After a while, upon listening to it for the 347th time, I likened this to a casino exploding and all the pieces landed in a nice pattern. :P Great work.

NGADM Round One Score: 9.8

introstalge responds:

Thanks for the feedback headphoamz!

This is an NGADM Round 1 Review.

This year's contest has a very impressive electronic turnout in my opinion, and that's largely due to the amount of great electronic artists who just appeared out of nowhere. I consider you one of them - you have just three tracks and seven fans, and yet you come up with some fantastically-produced and enjoyable material that begs for a well-deserved larger audience here on Newgrounds. For starters I absolutely love the little motif you introduce as a bassline at the beginning and use as the factor to tie everything together. 1:50's breakdown is brilliant, and offers some momentary relief from the sections before which were getting pretty repetitive. Your use of white noise and square leads playing fast arpeggios also gives this a lovely video-game-esque charm which I think is one of the most memorable things about this track.

Your mixing and mastering is excellent. From the punchy drums to the thick sustained notes in the background to the silky square lead, you meld the sounds together really well, as RetromanOMG pointed out. Your sound manipulation is pretty great, as is apparent during the dubstep-like sections. So, if the compositional ideas are there and the production is nailed, then what problems do I have with this track? Well, I feel it's somewhat cluttered in its structure/transitions and perhaps rushed. For instance, it feels almost nonsensical to have a buildup at 0:42 to 0:55 when 0:55 has roughly the same intensity level as the part before 0:42, except with some quicker melodies on the lead. I also feel like after the breakdown at 1:50, there isn't much reason to keep listening to the track since it repeats a lot of patterns and gets quite monotonous.

Either way, what you have here is catchy and a blast to listen to. Good job!

SCORE: 8.6/10

introstalge responds:

Thanks Step! I really agree with everything you've said here and I am working hard on my next submission to score in those areas which I let myself down in. Thanks for the thoughtful feedback!

That bass, and that lead synth: Just "mm." It's a tastey combo. Chemiqals said it himself, that melody sounds like it's coming right out of a Daft Punk classic. And then you keep changing it up with different basses and arpeggios, that's the sort of Midas touch that takes a song in a genre typically known for being a waiting period between bass drops and keeps it fresh. I only wish you'd made the variations in the second half of the song different that the first; it would have kept that momentum going for me as a listener.

Still, this was a joy to listen to!

There's not really much I can say about this, other than the fact that it's awesome!

Good luck in the NGADM ^-^