Reviews for "First Encounter"

Patience

Well this looks like it took a good long time to complete on the DS so was it frame by frame or actually recorded frame by frame as you drew them? Nice to see this though as we were doing these kind of submissions long before youtube came along, you remember the parody game and movie pieces Knox used to do? Good times.

The art of this was simply great and probably more than I could do on my DS anyways, mostly because I doubt I would be patient enough to draw a full animation for two hours on the DS. I liked how near the end when he ate the box with his tongue that you used a Yoshi tongue sound effect to help show what was going on there.

The music used was fitting, I'm guessing it was a remixed piece from Super Smash Bros. right?

The story was interesting as he cut his own tongue which sent him flying then falling back down to earth and he ate a box for some reason. Then glasses looked real detailed and then it started to static and ended. I guess this was for effect as well right? Very nice if it was.

Overall, very entertaining animation all done on the DS, very well done.

Review Request Club

PowerRangerYELLOW responds:

You were correct in guessing the music was from a nintendo video game however the track was from earth defense force not super smash brothers.

I haven't been making pictomations before youtube however i have been making flash since as early as 2003.

Knox actually released a movie that has a cast entirely of sock puppets and even though i'm not a fan of his work.

I like the idea of a sock puppet movie.

-PowerRangerYELLOW

Beautiful in it's own simplicity.

Of course, I came here thanks to a certain forum thread, and since promise is promise I'm typing a review here.
Let me say, first of all I don't like 'advertising' via a forum, but since the flash was good I'll let it slip.

Art: 8/10
Normally I'd hate videocamera things like this, especially from a DS, but you had a very original concept, which I liked very much. The simplicity in the artwork (drawings) really made that in 'sync' too. I don't know if this was well thought out by you, or just pure coincidence, but good job.

Also, the animation: very, very good. Just how many different drawings did you have to make on such a horribly small screen?

Music: 7/10
Well chosen, that's already a 6/10 worth, plus the small yoshi-sound effect, nice add. 1/10 bonus ^^

Concept: 8/10
This is kinda funny, it's original and horrible unoriginal at the same time, but the way you changed the unoriginal part (video camera record) into such an original thing, the animation of the pictochat drawings, was amazingly well done. Good job on that too.

Overall, I'd say an 8/10 and I'll give a 5/5 because this flash is also horribly underrated.

Good job, I'll go check the other one out, but I'm not gonna review that one.

PowerRangerYELLOW responds:

Thank you for taking the time to write such a well thought out review and i pretty much have always been a shameless self promoter for my flashes since day one.

I'm really pleased to see that you have enjoyed the show and as for the other pictochat movie it's more like a quick piece of shit made for the dailytoons.

Not bad...but not flash

The video's all right, and considering that it was done on a Nintendo DS, I think I should give extra stars. Should I...?

The art: Alright, the art was just random stick figures drawn, namely a professor, a stickman and something else, maybe a spray? So if it was a normal flash, then it wouldn't have been as good, seeing as it takes a lot of work -- I think -- do replicate this on a DS. But it's no excuse for poor-ish art. The explosion, the city and the professor's head were drawn relatively nicely, though.

The animation: Due to the effect (?) created in the video, I see multiple screens on the screen, each showing the same picture. Not sure what to make of that, but I guess if I focused on an individual screen then I could call it a smooth-ish animation, which is a bit blocky. I can't really say though, since this is after all, not a flash animation but a video.

The sound: I think the music fits the plot well: slightly funny (to me) and a bit fast-paced, which kinda reminds me of a Wiley Coyote theme. Good job on the selection of music. The sound effects, though, were negligible, except for the last part which really surprised me: One moment I'm listening to calming music, the next a loud scratch as the video cuts. Maybe the sound could've been made a little softer?

The storyline: So I see a stickman bringing something up, next second flying high in the sky, something happens, boom, then the professor's experimenting with a box. I can't really see any storyline here, it's as if you just shot random things to experiment with this. I can't give you any stars on that but I won't take away any, though.

All in all, not so bad since it's actually done on Pictochat, as Wearfare said (and I assume), so I've chosen to give extra stars. But an afterthought: I don't think you should upload videos on Newgrounds. NG's for flash animation. Not for videos. I think you should've stuck to Youtube for this video, but if your aim was to show what people could to with said program, then I think your aim was acheived.

~~ Summary ~~

~~ Good points ~~
1) Done on Pictochat (+++)
2) Nice music selection

3) Loud sound effects
4) It's a video!

[Review Request Club]

PowerRangerYELLOW responds:

What happens is the stickman bites his tounge so hard it bleeds and the resulting blood spray sends him flying.

he eventually loses blood and quickly falls to the earth where a city happens to be than the stickman explodes creating a hugh metor where the city used to be.

The professor gets excited because he has found a brand new discovery and begins tests using boxes.

near the ending he begins to activate the transmitter inside one of the boxes however the machine cannot handle the new frequency.

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review.

Fantastic experiment

Your animation showed how much a person can do with Nintendo DS' Pictochat. That was awesome!

PowerRangerYELLOW responds:

Glad you liked it and i hope to be uploading more pictomations onto both newgrounds and youtube.

Please forgive the lateness of my reply.