Reviews for "Melee Man"

A Delightfully well-made game.

Fun platforming gameplay with cheery, gorgeous visuals that hearken back to the Game Boy Advance era. But I have a question: If his name is "Melee Man", why does he have a gun?

TheVillageBlacksmith responds:

Believe you me. He'd much rather just stomp enemy forehead, but as you can see, some enemies incorporated dreaded spikes into their defense mechanisms. A melee man gotta do what a melee man gotta do. :)

Actually casual fun

I had FUN playing this. It's difficult, but not rage-inducingly so (there's challenge levels for that kind of thing). The art style was pleasant, the music was non-annoying, and I had a few nostalgia moments even. Most of all, it WASN'T some bleak monochrome gore fest or angsty, thought provoking "art game" with minimal interactivity. Tried to get all the gems, but maybe I'll do that another time.

Thanks for fixing the boss. It still likes to teleport way higher than I can jump, though. I tried bouncing off its projectiles, but it teleports away before I can hit it.

Fun and well balanced difficulty

A huge difference between retro games and new games is how the general playstyle goes and of course what level of thinking you need. New games are very linear and to the point, where you have to obtain this for this or do this for that, but in retro games it isn't just "kill this" or "get that".

The objective in classics is to gain as many points as possible. In retro games you have to manipulate the physics of the game in order to obtain certain points, such as using enemy heads to get you somewhere or just general manipulation of the character. These games aren't really objective based, they are more collection based and they are a good way to show off to your friends.

Example:
"Bitch, I just killed like 20 people in a row on Call of Duty."
"Pfft, whatever; I got maxed out 99x lives on Super Mario and I don't even remember my score. And I killed enormous hordes of goombas, collecting thousands of coins, and stabilizing mushroom kingdom's economy...and guess what? I'm a plumber! I don't need your pussy noob tube or your silly landmines."

Overall the gameplay was very fun and you did introduce a great and wonderful amount of coin opportunities that one may miss. And you also had the classic "You got stuck, haha!" scenario. Great game, and I like the Badgers reference. My only issue is that when you land on enemy heads you have to be pressing the up button, otherwise you fall right through them.

5/5, 10/10.

~Damon

cool

Like the concept of graphic and gameplay is not bad too :)

"Epic game dood"

I can't get past round 3, but I love the animation and I'm getting down to the soundtrack like "Fuck yeah man!" XD