Reviews for "Festival Day"

The most well-received? I always thought that Sky's the Limit was the best one, though that may be because I'm a narcissist. Anyway this is incredible and I don't really have anything to critique, it's heads and shoulders above the original. The mix is so good! :O :O

Step responds:

Heyyyy thanks for reviewing ^_^.

"The most well-received? I always thought that Sky's the Limit was the best one, though that may be because I'm a narcissist."

Haha, well I said most well-received not best! It had the most positive reviews and views. Not sure if I personally prefer it more than Sky's the Limit, although I definitely think it had more room for a remake than Sky's the Limit does (primarily because electronic isn't my main genre so I have trouble making long electronic songs).

"Anyway this is incredible and I don't really have anything to critique, it's heads and shoulders above the original. The mix is so good! :O :O"

Yesss, you like mix! I was worried the climax sounding like a hodgepodge of musical instruments in a loudness war. Also relieved to hear that you think this is an improvement over the original. I don't know if you noticed but I actually took your advice of adding in a bassline so it's not just boomy hits playing the bassy stuff (mostly heard at 1:50 by the guitar). Really like how that turned out.

"Actually I lied, I do have something to critique: YOUR INCREDIBLY SLOW RELEASE SCHEDULE. MAKE MORE MUSIC DARN YOU."

SORRYYYY. I actually am still making music fairly often, just not releasing it. I've got four unreleased tracks, two which are over four minutes in length and one which is seven minutes long! One of them is for a game soundtrack, and the other three are Harmony of Heroes tracks. I can't wait till the album is released so I can upload those tracks to Newgrounds, but for now they've got to remain unreleased :(.

Nice to hear from you again, thanks a million for the encouraging review!

stunning work, this should be on Final Fantasy, has that similar type of atmosphere, i love your work, keep it up :)!
- Pandasticality

Step responds:

Thanks a million! Glad you enjoyed it.

My one complaint is actually the thing you seem most proud of, though: your lead flute! Sorry, but it still sounds artificial when played on its own, as most wind instrument plugins do. You totally sell it like a boss, but without the band blurring the edges, you can tell that the flute lacks the imperfections and dynamics that make a flute real. I might suggest experimenting with some tremolo to get ya through, but that trick would only hide a few notes...

Other than that, it might be time to send the score to an actual flutist...

Step responds:

"My, my...how the tables have turned, Step. Once you were reviewing me, but now THE POWER IS MINE!!!! MWAHAHAHA!!!"

You should have posted an NGADM-styled review with the headline and the decimal score at the end and everything, to really highlight the irony :3.

"...but in all seriousness, I have nothing at all to complain about, in either composition or mix. This is pro quality, well-thought-out work. It belongs in cinema. This could easily grace the soundtrack of pretty much any Celtic faerytale."

Damn, I'm honoured! Getting praise like this is very heartwarming and encouraging for me because I'm just a lowly amateur who merely dreams of getting his music in a high-budget film or game haha.

"My one complaint is actually the thing you seem most proud of, though: your lead flute!"

Hey, you said you have nothing to complain about! Haha I'm joking, complain all you want.

"Sorry, but it still sounds artificial when played on its own, as most wind instrument plugins do. You totally sell it like a boss, but without the band blurring the edges, you can tell that the flute lacks the imperfections and dynamics that make a flute real. I might suggest experimenting with some tremolo to get ya through, but that trick would only hide a few notes..."

You know, I think the best way to create realism isn't necessarily in the sound of each note, but the amount of articulations and grace notes used. My East/West Ra VST comes with a bunch of woodwinds that sound pretty good on their own, but it's when I break out the trills and the pitch altering and the other kinds of musical ornaments do I think "wow, this sounds real". Unfortunately, the version of the flutes VST I was using to make this had nothing of the sort (yet) since it was still under development.

I totally agree about vibrato though. It really helps in the longer notes. Funnily enough, the older version of this track had a piccolo from East/West which had TOO MUCH vibrato in the longer notes! But yeah, should've given that pitch vibrato. Pitches loooove vibrato.

Thanks a lot for dropping by mate. I'm really glad you like this.

this is probably the best song i ever heard, but you should have found a more original name for it i am trying to play the song in discord using rythm bot but so many things are called festival day that it cant regognize it! its really sad but the song is great, i just dont want to open orcs x go to credits click the link in my phone copy it to my computer in order to hear the song i like anyways great work but maybe a more original name will be nice

I came here from Orcs X and I have to say, it really fits there and it's a really great song. It would be really cool you could post it on Spotify (don't know if it's complicated or something, I would just really like it). Also, for some reason it reminds me of Glorious Morning from Waterflame.