Reviews for "K.O.L.M. 2"

short

Your 1st game told a sad and deep story, one that taps into your emotional state and tells the sad tale of this automoton as he tries to make sense of the world and 'mother'. This one did not, why? Its simply too short to tell the emotional tale the 1st one told.

It appears you are going to tell this in installments, that will make it hard to get people in the right stste of mind, you will need most of each game to get people in the right state, and this will leave almost no room for storytelling.

Ignoring the story its a good platformer, the switch mechanic is nice, however there is only 1 puzzle where you need to use the 2 characters together to solve it. This makes the mechanic feel wasted.

When you do the next one im temped not to play it, i may wait until you have finished them all so i can play them in one hit. I do like where you are going, I just think it lacks the punch and depth of the 1st game

not as good as the first part

its nice, but that teamwork aspect is too buggy. for example: why does she stand upright in a tunnel where she cant if you change players?

also i went to the end without getting the air tank, you just have to be fast enough.

why can you destroy the floor in the end? and why doesn't anything happen if you do?!

all in all this game feels unfinished.

i really enjoyed kolmiam. fix those bugs and it might be a great game like the first one :)

Did not raise the bar

I found myself expecting more...

The thing is, KOLM games are amazing. KOLM and KOLMIAM are absolute must-plays on my list of amazing games to share. So the author kind of kicked himself by setting the bar too high!

First off, major bugs: There is only one. On camera 10, there's a small alcove you can get yourself stuck into because it requires ducking to get inside, but you can't jump while ducking. If you get caught in this trap, simply reload the page and it will restart you in the same room (thank goodness for autosave!)

Minor bugs: I managed to get Rob through to Daddy WITHOUT the oxygen tank for Sister. You can hang Sister over a ledge, move Rob out and quickly reposition Sister to the next ledge. Repeat and you can give Rob just enough of a headstart to get through the water. I thought this was rather clever of me and I'd say just leave it in and make an achievement out of it.

The game was also a bit sluggish in places, especially when we went to extremely wide views. This is probably because the author added the really snappy-looking 3d camera pan and some much more complicated backgrounds. I love it, but there's got to be a better way.

Finally we get to the feel of the game, the fun factor itself. Something was really missing here. I wanted a lot more progression for both Robot and Sister. In KOLM we got our vision, all three of our jumps, all three of our guns, slide, waterproofing, etc. All we get this game is sun upgrade, bomb, voicebox, sister, and o2 tank for sister. And voicebox and sister are each just kind of half of one upgrade. So we got about four upgrades instead of KOLM/KOLMIAM's nine.

The bomb felt like it took too long to charge, and there was no audio cue for charging. It didn't feel fun. The sunlight puzzles were certainly challenging, but much like the bomb I didn't feel that its potential had been explored. I also expected Sister to be seared by the light - it wasn't clear why the Rob was vulnerable but Sister was fine, and so I passed up many sunlight rooms at first without realizing they were solvable.

I liked the cooperative aspect of this, I feel like it could be parleyed into a multiplayer game really nicely, but otherwise it's a lot of controls to dump onto an otherwise very spartan control setup. Was it worth the hassle? Maybe. It -was- fun and interesting, but if the game was longer it might have grated on me.

Bottom line - this is still a great game, fun to play, and recaptures the creepy dystopian base of lies that we all know and love. What was added to the game definitely did not raise the bar, though. The second piece of a trilogy always suffers a little. Please make this a trilogy! I don't think we can bear seeing the story end here.

that was way shorter than the original

I'll have to second the word of fellow last reviewer. It was quite disappointing indeed. This game really doesn't live up to the original, though I don't think there is need to really start pulling more stars than needed - Everything was still good, just not as good as the first + in a minute, and certainly quite below what we expected from it :( That's 1 star down.

Another half star plucked due to the overall lack of challenge. Just a tip: Don't call it a "challenge mode" if you can die indefinitely, revive without penalty (other than score) on the same screen AND keep items (and enemies dead) on respawn, especially if there is no boss in the whole game. It's really misleading.

That sums up to 3.5 which is kind of nice, considering we did already start with 5 stars due to the great overall quality of the game, especially effects (graphic and sound). Had a good experience, not as good as anticipated.