Reviews for "Crystal Story"

glitch?

I KEEP WALKING BACK & FORTH BETWEEN 2 ROOMS & TREASURE CHEST KEEP POPPING UP !!! ON FLOOR 3, IS THIS A BUG?

Great Game...

But I just can't beat the zombie mode on expert. RAGE.

Amazing Game!

Truly A Work Of Art Absolutely Amazing Game. I Had So Much Fun On It Please Continue To Make Games Has Good Has This! Here's One Bug I Noticed. Whenever I Cast Regen All It Damages The Whole Party And The Regen Effect Still Takes Place Though. Anyways Great Game I Enjoyed It Alot Good Work!

One of the best Games on Newgrounds, Warts and all

Crystal Story strikes me as a the perfect kind of flash RPG- Its depth is achieved through all the right kind of sacrifices.

From an ascetics standpoint, your game hits as many key elements as it NEEDS too: there aren't a crazy amount of animations between the characters and monsters, and while it may get stale, it doesn't draw attention to itself- its not obnoxiously repetitive, its subtly repetitive, so it doesn't grate your nerves. The sounds were pretty standard-issue for flash-game fare, but by giving each sound its own distinct action associated with it (you never confused the 'basic attack' sound with a 'spell' sound, and so forth), and that helped to build the immersion where the visuals were lacking. The music was appropriate and varied, too, with a very heavy JRPG influence that fit the game well, considering it's a condensed JRPg.

Story-wise, it was pretty standard. The scarce dialogue was a treat- you weren't bogged down in exposition or story, so cut-scenes were actually a reward rather than something that simply had to be endured. This makes the characters more likable- they were all two-dimensional and lacking any real depth, but sense that wasn't rubbed in our face it was easy to simply take that for what it was. A lot of their personality, it appeared to me, was told more through what class you chose and how they did their attacks. Victory poses are telling, and those little details gave a player the freedom to construct their own 'characters' around the skeleton you provide.

In those terms, I'd really call this gaming 'minimalism' at its finest. It got better as you left things out- not an easy task to accomplish, but it defiantly turns this from a great game into an excellent one. You knew what needed attention and you gave it accordingly.

Gameplay wise, the first thing I'll have to do is give kudos' for the item leveling system. By having us able to pay to increase the level of items, it meant we didn't have to grind for newer equipment, and it meant we could actually build the stats we WANTED to increase- you wouldn't have to compromise or suffer sub-par equipment to get what you wanted out of your character. It was a simple idea that really transformed the RPG for me- and made inventory management a whole lot easier.

Dungeon crawling was pretty standard. Making some chests only spawn after you've defeated the enemies helps make me want to meet every encounter head-on, but usually the drops of these chests were nothing compared to the stuff you could get feeding the slime (Which is more or less an item lottery) so I wouldn't call it that great a reward. By the end of the game, I was positively SWIMMING in gold, by the way- while it made it easier to do everything, I think it could stand to be balanced somewhat. You don't want to make item management a grind, but all the same, making it too easy kind of negates the point of having currency.

Combat was fun, if not a tad easy. The variety of enemies are appreciated, and the fact that sometimes you need to use moves such as 'silence' and 'tranquilizing shot' speaks well for the balance, because oftentimes such moves just take up space, but I never really felt challenged by the enemies- it was only my frugal use of my abundant potions that caused me trouble, and I certainly could of afforded to be more liberal with their applications, seeing as I had so much money to spend on more, but still, there was enough variety to keep things interesting, even if there were no real strategies for boss fights other than "Empower, DESTROY!"

All in all, this is one of the best games on Newgrounds, hands down. It's fun, full of variety and depth, and if I had more characters remaining I'd defiantly take the time to mention all the other stuff it does right and wrong, but for now, rest assured- it's defiantly worth the time I've spent playing it, and I'm grateful you made it.

thanks!

We Need a Sequel!

This is probably the best flash RPG i've played, and one of the best overall. Lots of dedication and love were put into this, and yet is simple, charming, and best of all, the soundtrack fitted the game perfectly and wasn't annoying after three hours listening.

But I would like to give a few pointers and complaints. Nothing that ruins the game, but that would allow a 11 score. (based on level 29 chars)

-There´s something wrong with the Crit attribute. Tristam has 130, and in 30 attacks or 2 Omnislash, he got no critical hit. But Kaeli (57) and Reuben (52) get a critical hit once every 2 strikes with Tranq Shot and Blizzard respectively.

-Spells are abusive! Reuben can wipe out any enemy with around 1300 damage with Blizzard, his second attack, while Tristan barely causes 600 with Slice and Dice, his second attack. I know wizards are supposed to be stronger than all classes, but fragile, but with the right equipment, he can cause 2000 damage on all enemies and receive less than 100 damage. I think he should start his own mercenary company, maybe side with the evil witch and take over the world.

OF COURSE!!!

-Put a bit more offense on healer, maybe some debuffs. Poor Phoebe only used her hammer for regular attacks and Silence Attack. Even Yuna from FFX had Holy as her ultimate skill. And we had to wait almost the whole game for it.

And also, tips for the pepoles:

-If you have a healer, sell all potions and buy only ethers. it´s far more effective, and you get a good cash.

-Pick three best attributes for each character and buff those above all else. This will specialize the characters and will make battles a lot easier. Reuben specializes in Mag, Def e Mdef, for example.

Hm. Maybe it´s my own fault Reuben is so overpowered. Oh, well.

-Fight each King at least three times, and their levels as well. This is the best and fastest way of grinding on this game.

-Sell useless equipment/items immediately after returning to town. You won't use an super rare magic bow if Kaeli is a rogue, so sell it and bankrupt the poor shop lady!

-Upgrade/Change your equipment, then go to the inn to rest. When the equipment gets better, hp/mp increases, so do those things on that order.

Hm, 1879 characters remaining. There must be something more I could add to this review...

Oh, I know!

NYAH, NYAH, NYAH NYAH NYAH, NYAH, NYAH NYAH NYAH NYAH NYAH NYAH!!!
NYAH, NYAH, NYAH NYAH NYAH, NYAH, NYAH NYAH NYAH NYAH NYAH NYAH!!!
NYAH, NYAH, NYAH NYAH NYAH, NYAH, NYAH NYAH...

AND MAKE THE SEQUEL!