Reviews for "Tsukikanade"

It's incredible! Mind blowing song :D I loved it :D

Thank you!

Awesome stuff! I needs a bit of work in the mix but the vocals are beautiful and the piece is mystifying. Great work!

Troisnyx responds:

Thanks, glad you like it. Any specific pointers on mixing would be much appreciated!

Wonderful little loop! Krichotomy actually outlined all of little criticisms I had for the piece, such as the blip at the end of the loop and the need for the tambourine to a little more subtle, but I'm not so sure about the overcompression. Not very good at spotting that stuff out myself unless it's blatantly obvious the artist went overboard with it.

I guess it's all about keeping a nice level of dynamic range in the mix. The bit with the layered vocals has a bunch of instruments playing short notes, which is giving off a slightly chaotic feeling. Usually when I think of overcompression though, I think of the volume constantly hovering between -1 to 0 dbs and everything being brickwalled into the center.

Ah well, never said I was an expert in this stuff! All I know is is that it sounds awesome, but just needs a few minor tweaks. Sorry I can't be more in depth on dynamic range. I only know the very basics, and I understand it's a very intricate subject.

Composition is awesome. Melodies are great. But the mix needs serious help, so let's talk about that!

=== MIXING 101 ===

Two big things:

* Internalize the following fact: 90% of mixing is getting volume levels to be right. There's no secret formula or magic technique - get the volume levels to be right and you're nearly done.

* Slots - You should consider your music as if it has a couple of slots: bass, midbass, midrange (melody/singing), pads, and high range. If you put one instrument in each slot, the song will sound totally full. But DON'T put more than one instrument in the same slot (unless you pan), because they will compete and mess with your song.

Alright, now for a step by step guide:

1. Go to the mixer in FL studio, go to the master channel, and remove any limiters you have. ALWAYS do this, until you get to the point where you consistently know what you're doing. They just make it harder to diagnose mixing issues.
2. Go to the loudest part in your song (1:20, I'd say). Make sure you're not in the red. If you are, turn down your volume levels until you aren't any more.
3. Turn down the master fader (the volume control that controls how loud the entire song is) until you can only hear a single instrument. That's your loudest instrument! Are you sure you want it to be your loudest instrument? If not, turn it down and turn up what should be the loudest (probably vocals in this song).
4. Turn up the volume to the point where you can hear every instrument, but just barely. It should still be very quiet. Now, set the volume levels for the whole song. Believe it or not, us humans make better mixing choices when music is really quiet. Why this is true is a long discussion, but this simple help will really help out.

Alright, I hope that helps. I'd encourage you to remix this song, it's good practice :) PM me if you have any specific questions.

Troisnyx responds:

Thanks for the pointers..... I would remix this song, save that I've lost it and the stems forever.

This is really nice. You are very talented! I get a sense of Enya mixed with the soundtrack to beautiful mind from this song,

Troisnyx responds:

Eh, thanks ^_^ I did try to be Enya-ish, but I didn't think of layering that many voices in the end. Glad you like it.