Reviews for "Alight (in dreams)"

I was intrigued by the flying and the music, I stayed for the story. The story could be retold differently each time you played it and every sentence you found was a treasure by itself. The journey between each discovery can get a bit dull though but the flying mechanism does all right to alleviate the burden of travelling.

The music appears to be some hybrid of songs from the Album North by Smiletron (including bits from Fjord, Home, Taiga, etc) and it really set the mood for the game. In some parts though I kinda wished the music would change with the setting a bit more but we still have the big three = Atmospheric music, dark other world waves, and silence. Seeing as how the sound effects were taken from free sources, I can't really complain about their quality but they were put to decent use.

The gameplay itself is nothing too spectacular and the graphics are retro, but that's easily overpowered by the strong story and ability of flight. The one bad part is the difficult parts of the game where maneuverability and timing are somewhat crucial which I think doesn't belong in an art game. I like art games for the story, music, graphics, etc. and I don't want to be slowed down by a platforming mess.

There are three different items that you can take with you on each return journey: a candle, a feather, and a clock.
The Candle renders you immune to crows
The Feather increases your flight
The Clock challenges you with a timer

Each item will tell a different story after the return journey so to get the best experience try to pick up different items in a replay.

I've played this game probably around 3 times now each with different stories to tell (once with a secret ending). It is definitely worth a try and one of the best art games on Newgrounds!

Thank you for such a wonderful game!
-luigi2191

PS: If you want the secret ending, try to beat all the levels while taking the clock.

Touching - But not entirely

I aborted a game, that made me almost cry, because the jumping parts displacing my focus from emotions to gameplay. I really love to fly around, look at all this beatiful textures, that, when you take a closer look, show you with how much love have been made. ;)
But where other games, To The Moon, Dear Esther etc. let you experience more emotion then gameplay, Alight trys to do both at the same time. Sorry, it didn't work for me that way. Maybe for everyone else, but I found it annoying to die 30 times until I could read another of these touching sentences.
I loved to play it, and will tell my friends about it, but I wont go through it. That's with me..

Wow... This game is so touching. No matter how many times I play it, it almost brings me to tears. It's a beautiful story, sad and touching. I have beaten the game with all the items, seem the endings, managed to reach level 8 also escape it. I was very satisfied with that ending. Thank you for creating such a work of art. My only complaint, though it be slight, is the difficulty on some of the levels. It seems hard for someone who doesn't play a lot of games like this, they miss out on something quite amazing.

the return trips are not needed and they serve no purpose.

...