Reviews for "SHMUP"

Nice looking game...

...But its just another nail in the coffin of unoriginality.

Old concept, old gameplay, great art-style.

good game

it was fairly good for a game. it was not the most original idea for a game since there are tons of games like this but this one was somewhat better than some other games like this thought there are some minor flaws to this game. like the ship thing goes way to slow it is hard to dodge enemy bullets coming at you and you really should be able to get a better weapon because the missiles are way to small. the graphics to this game were actually very good. the game was pretty decent i guess but needs some improvement to it. keep trying and i know you will get it right hoping to see more.

Mediocre

The levels were rather uninteresting and repetitive with no obstacles other than enemy ships. That's fine in games like 1943 or Twinbee where there's tons of bullets to dodge and loads of powerups to collect, but since none of that is going on here, it leads to a very boring experience. No one level really stands out here as well- especially with the same music. Every level of every Gradius game is extremely memorable and, ergo, can be mastered through repeated playthroughs.

The art style, though intricate, seems very flat and sterile. A lot of games in this genre aim for bolder colors and higher contrast on the foreground objects to not only make the game more visually appealing, but also to make hazards more noticeable. None of the ships (including the player's) were animated aside from the thrusters.

Music was okay, but did not loop smoothly and got repetitive quickly. I eventually had to mute it and put the awesome Xexex soundtrack on ;).

Lastly, the hit-box on your ship is, in my opinion, far too large (the Vic Viper's in Gradius V was like, one pixel in the cockpit). Pulling off some extreme maneuvering through enemy fire is half the fun in a game like this, and it's neigh impossible with the hit-box as large as it is.

Having played a lot of the old-school shmups, (my favorite genre of video game) this one was just 'O.K.' Wasn't terrible, but doesn't really stand out.

...Tyrian?

I can't have been the only one to recognize that this is pretty much straight off of the game Tyrian. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrian_
%28video_game%29)

I love both of these games. But I've gotta give it a 7 since you didn't credit the author, and it's so obviously based on it. Sorry :/

Afro-Ninja responds:

Believe it or not I had never played Tyrian prior to releasing this.
Even if I did I'm not required to 'credit the author,' just how anyone who makes a mario-based platformer doesn't need to 'credit' Shigeru Miyamoto.

It's okay, but the ship starts out way too slow even with the speed upgrades. Also there's like no grazing at all so there are parts that are impossible to dodge. Not bad though, I was playing with an arcade stick and it was fun, great music too.