Reviews for "The Place of a Skull"

Cool track! Very vanguard. I hope your courage to create such a extreme detailed, complex and extreme piece will be rewarded.

Great use of orchestral effects and very nice dark soundscapes. the lastpart after 6:00 reminds me a lot of a mix of pink floid, zimmer (man of steel) and vangelis (bladerunner). The rhythmic use of the piano to underline the strings was a very good decision - simple but effective.

Next to jacobs and peters submission this is the second track i would recommend to win 1st place. Both pieces were very strong, unique, brave and in my oppinion same strong.

Hope you judge guys reward some bravery - thats something what we needed more on this portal. I also think Phonometrologist would deserve more attention. This man should be helped! Not to finally find him in the top 3 with THIS piece would make me sad...

5/5 and fav good sir!

Phonometrologist responds:

Whatever the results may be, I have to say that your generous comments has already made this worthwhile, and if it doesn't even reach another set of ears it is not all for naught because of you. I'm really flattered and I'm not sure what to say except that this is the kindest review I've gotten thus far here at NG.
Personally, I can't say that this approach was courageous, because I thought at least I would get some reviews on a piece that I thought most people wouldn't enjoy as far as how the beginning goes. Good way to take an opportunity to be myself and experiment when you know someone will be weighing in their thoughts on it.
I find it really interesting that the six minute mark reminded you a little bit of Pink Floyd. I wouldn't have guessed that, but perhaps that it is only natural since I've listened to a lot of their music from an early age and still do enjoy them.
Thank you SoundChris, and I'm looking forward to hearing more great music from you.

so happy with this. looking forward to working with you again in the future.

Yes! To the future.
Your scratching and your overall performance really enhanced this.

What a lovely surprise. I was convinced that my visual works went unnoticed.

What an emotive and exploratory piece this is. The beginning of this journey into torment, isolation and maddening hunger instantly devoured my interest. The soundscape and lonely piano set a lovely tone.

If feel the longer this track goes, the more optimistic it gets. It hardly forgets where it came from, though. The overall sound never quite sheds itself of its desperation. Which is perfect.

The inspiration is mutual, friend.

Phonometrologist responds:

Regarding your art piece, I've grown more attached to it, and I began to see a key aspect within your work that I was quick to overlook unintentionally. Upon first glance, the lines that suggest motion stood out. I then sought to look around the black spot to see more of the detail of the heart, but I was missing the point. I eventually realized what was intended and that was to portray that hole within the hearts of man. Perhaps that is even why you titled it Famine in parenthesis. The coveting, hunger, and desperation takes hold as when one pursues to fill that void but finds it to be insatiable. I find it to be very accurate, and I can say that by personal experience of my coming to that revelation.
I know the optimistic part does seem a little off after what was heard before it, but I felt that the cadence wouldn’t have as much of an impact without it. Kind of like, how does one know sorrow without a reference. Reminds me of Kahlil Gibran as I quote, “Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.” Most would take that to be in context to relationships, but I see it as a whole for the love of humanity. Let’s just call that musical interlude a loss of innocence.
The heart beats until life's end, and mine beats in the hope of its continuance.

The chaotic parts didn't mean anything to me, which may seem like an insulting opinion, but you must understand, that I am a man of chaos; I dwell in darkness and I speak the language of all that people choose not to hear, see and speak of. The very fact that you've managed to create chaos I could not ascribe meaning to, shows how talented you are as a composer. I've listened to the chaotic parts with a willing and curious mind, yet nothing came to me - it was abundant with incoherence, yet melodic and flowing - that's something I rarely ever experience nowadays. You've given me a state of absolute solace in chaos, where in there wasn't a single thought to disturb my experience - I was captured by the torn essence you've painted with sound, and for that, I commend you.

The classical part and the cinematic part is taking nothingness, and building everything out of that nothingness. Something I'm personally very fond of, ontologically speaking. You have the ability to combine emptyness and everything into one dramatic track, thus again, I commend you. It's not very often I come across someone that can draw a melody that has no meaning, as it's a depiction of the loss thereof, in a way of silence. Silence is a golden state; it touches us in ways like looking in a mirror through our ears, and you've successfully reached that state, my friend.

5/5 10/10

Phonometrologist responds:

For me to get a complementary and well thought-out review from you in my opinion says a lot as I find this to be quite encouraging. The philosophy behind a piece is something I really like getting into, and that alone is what gives part to the listener entitlement of the very thing for which I can no longer keep as my own. For you being a self-proclaimed man of chaos, and for me not to be able to communicate a message to you within chaos is very interesting. When I write these things, it is more of a reflection in how I observe injustice in the world. Or at least the pain therein for those far less fortunate than I. Those raped, abused, and killed for no reason of their own compels me to write. Those robbed of peace and joy from their thoughts deserve others to share the burden. By keeping them into my thoughts, I wouldn't be doing them any favors if I chose to spend my time carelessly on things that don't amount to anything. I would rather use what was given to pay homage in some way that I can.
Perhaps the chaos isn't suppose to prescribe meaning for I cannot find reason for why people go through these things while I have been so fortunate. Arnold Schoenberg constructed the idea of the 12 tone primarily as a way to get rid of the normative in music and try to express music through the human subconsciousness. Expressionism in itself could have been born by the dislocation of emotion from the early twentieth century. Writing this is perhaps a reflection for not to have any meaning to why, but just is, and it is my choice to make something good of it. For me, at the very least, I find meaning in the title for that I find hope.
I have to say that I find your statement to be very profound: "Silence... touches us in ways like looking in a mirror through our ears." Unfortunately many cannot bare it for what that leaves them.
I look forward to your intelligent writings :)

I like that you know what you are doing. Things are not abstract (as it seems) but connected. The only minor thing I would go for is to fade the atonality at 4.15 till not heard. But this is not even a suggestion but a matter of choice. Very well done.

Phonometrologist responds:

I like to think I know what I'm doing, but really I cannot say that I know how these things will turn out. I sometimes doubt what comes out is really me as I have no idea at moments. Your personal preference was definitely an option, but I don't want people to think the contrast between parts had no connection at all and by thinking that they were two separate pieces.
Thank you for the time as I know it is perhaps even more precious to you in how you spend it.