Reviews for "The Abusive Review Quiz"

It's ok.

Hmmm... My first review in quite awhile. I just randomly watched this and noticed my name in it so I decided to leave a review.

You can't really have helpful and useless as an option in quizzes like this. Depending on different opinions they are going to be either or. For example, the review that said they should add more medals is a tweener. The author could very well find that as helpful, but at the same time another one could very well find it useless. Can you see where you made a big mistake there?

Now, of course, there were several obvious useless ones, but it's still too much opinion to put on a quiz. Most people find reviews that say, "This was awesome!!!" as useless, but when I receive a review like that on one of my flashes I love it. It's helpful to me because I know the person wouldn't want anything to change and this influences how I make flash in the future.

You made a mistake not showing what flash the review was for as well. A review of all code like the first one is fine and great for a flash that produces level codes for other users. If this was reviewed on a completely different flash that didn't have this then it would obviously be abusive for being spam like. The same with the one that starts with He's on crack. If this is for a game with a level code then it's fine, but if not then it's spam and abusive.

You make a really big mistake when you don't show the answers. Like I said, most would be wrong because you would be giving a specific answer when it really matters on the opinion like I mentioned before. At least show the ones that would be marked as abusive. You really defeat the entire purpose of this flash without showing which ones are abusive. I'm assuming the point was to teach or test some people's knowledge. If you got some answers wrong on a test you'd like to know which ones so you don't make the same mistakes in the future right?

There were a few good things though. Nice background and graphics even if they were generic. Same thing goes with the audio choice here. The reviews were good examples, but like I said before, without the title of the flashes and a description of the flash you've failed to get across the sure answer on whether some of the reviews are actually abusive or not.

All in all I guess I left a somewhat negative review, but I'm just trying to help. You made a lot of mistakes that really brought down the quality of this flash, but another hours worth of work on this could turn my 6 into a 9 or 10 fairly quickly. Keep on working and keep on creating things.

Hacsev responds:

I should probably change your username in the flash, I didn't know it had changed.

I decided to classify them as useless since it didn't gave any constructive criticism, and you my friend taught me that.

And addition like "This was awesome!!!" would have been great. I still have confusion with those, though. Because if they don't add anything other than that, I consider them as useless.

I didn't want to show the flashes were I got those since it would give you guys ideas, but I guess I should have explained why it wasn't abusive. Besides, most of the reviews were invented.

Yes, I basically wanted to test users knowledge. And again, I'm really sorry for not including the reasons. I had lots of problems with the actionscript codes.

Never the less, I really enjoyed reading your review and nice to see you giving me some feedback. Thanks for the review, Corky!

Cool quiz

My highest so far is 17/20 but I still enjoyed this. Though the only fault I can find with this game is that since the flash games themselves weren't with the reviews I had to guess at which one were useless. (Since sometimes review you might think are useless would be quoting the game or flash itself.)

I also have to ask you why did I get all the whistle up to the point of golf the first time around? If it is suppose to be like that then good, but if it was suppose to only give you one medal depending on your score, then you should fix that error.

Thanks and fixed.

Nice

I like it, Infact i think newgrounds should implement something like this as a tutorial and tell you if you got one of the questions wrong.

Would very much help newcomers when to not blow the whistle, how they should review, and generally make us a better community. Well done bro =)

Hacsev responds:

Thanks, man. I like your idea.

I like the concept

I like the idea of creating a review system simulation as a method of training the NG user base to rate reviews accurately. It helps give a stronger grasp as to what's abusive, useless and helpful. This really should have been created years ago by the NG staff team for that purpose; because to be fully honest, a description merely explains it in theory; but it does not explain it literal interaction and for this reason could potentially lead to misconceptions.

I would critique the graphics, what with them simply being screen shots of the actual website, but then it became apparent to me that you created this in just under a day. So I can't really blame you for formatting it like that, although updating the graphics from pixels to vectors now that the challenge is over wouldn't hurt.

I foresee this submission reaching a somewhat critical high in popularity in the near future, just given the concept alone. I really can't believe no one has done this before, of if they have, just that it was so unpopular that it wen't unnoticed before is still unbelievable.

Hacsev responds:

Thank you for your review, phsychopath! It has been created before in fact by a user named RohantheBarbarian, I decided to make a quiz like he did, only it had medals. I actually started something similar to this 3 years ago, but I lost the file when my old computer crashed. So I had to redo it from the beginning and make it with AS2 so it could have the medals.

mmm, alright

It's a good attempt but there's a problem with some of the answers, I'll go into those in a moment, firstly I want to say that while graphically it's not great, it does do the job and fits in well with the Newgrounds theme, the music is an okay choice and the ability to mute is nice, the reveresed flash image at the top is not a good look though, no need to have it reveresed, it just looks silly.

To be a helpful flash, it should give the user feedback about the review, stating why it is helpful/useless/abusive, sure it might defeat the point at the end but that shouldn't really matter if your attempt is to educate.

Now, onto the problems with the questions, I'll only do the ones that seem wrong.

1: This is a code for a game, you're right in it not being abusive but helpful/useless should be down to the person putting it in, so both helpful/useless should be right.

16: "u sux/u emo" or something along those lines is what it is, you've got useless down as the right answer but it should be abusive because it's directing an insult at the author and saying nothing about the flash.

18: Same as 1

There are 1 or 2 others that seem borderline but really, useless/helpful is down the the readers own judgment more than anything else.

There is also a bug at the end where after you click continue, it just repeats the score and nothing happens, so to play again, you have to refresh, making it very akward to replay.

Good effort.

2/5

Hacsev responds:

Thank you for the review, Little-Rena. I agree with you in the part of the graphics. I suck a lot in those so I decided to go with the NG Elements.

I was going to put at first the reasons why some are abusive and others are not, but I just didn't have the time for that since I got a lot of problems with the codes. But your totally right on that as well.

From my experience some mods have told me that "u sux/u emo" and "this flash sux" are useless reviews while others have told me that they are in fact abusive. I decided to make the useless button right in case it really happens in NG and you get your whistle downgraded because of that.

Can you PM me about the bug please? I have submitted a newer version, but I don't know if it has been fixed.