Reviews for "DN8"

A really fun vertical shooter. The evolution of the ship and the various paths you could take to reach the finish was a nice touch of something new to the genre. You seemed to make the shift from focusing on destruction to focusing on dodging at the perfect time and this presented a nice little challenge as you had to adjust to the change.

I thought that the first few levels were too easy. Of course you didn't want the game to be too difficult during the early stages, but I thought you could have made there at least be an element of a challenge at this point. Towards the end of the game things evened out though. I didn't manage to complete it, but one of the levels towards the end became a sea of bullets. I loved the challenge, but it was too much for me.

A thought that there were a couple of aspects in the game that made things a little easier than it perhaps should have been. Chiefly, the fact that the enemies path was made visible. An enjoyable aspect of vertical shooters is the element of surprise, when you think you're in a safe position and a ship suddenly comes flying out of that section of the screen costing you a life. It's a great aspect that makes you have to rethink your approach. Sadly that wasn't present here as the visible pathways appeared with enough time for you to move to a more suitable location.

I was rather disappointed with the bosses. They didn't present any challenge until towards the end when you had to face multiple bosses at a time. Dodging their bullets was far too simple and the orbs just made it even more simple as you could effectively just sit still for the entire battle.

Personally I would have placed a bar on the top and the bottom and placed the stats there as there were a few occasions where they blocked my view of the ship and having them out of the way would have prevented this from happening.

I really liked your style of choosing the power ups. It was really different from the usual collecting an item during a level or exchanging points for an upgrade. You definitely picked a much better way of doing it here. However, I thought that it could have been explained better that once you went in one direction you couldn't go back. I opted for the double bullet first, with the intent of going back for the shield after completing that level, but it wasn't an option. Perhaps I should have known from the layout that it was a pathway, but I assumed it was a simple level select screen until after I'd made my decision.

I thought that the area allowed for you to fill the graze could have been made wider, at least when it was first introduced. You had to get VERY close to the bullets in order to fill it and it wasn't until the later levels that this became standard and I got used to it.

I found the combination of soundtrack and robotic voices a little annoying. I don't particularly like that style of music, but it tends to be a good match with vertical shooters and that was certainly the case here. I can't really complain about not enjoying the music and I'm not here. It was just when the music was coupled with the voice that I found it unpleasant.

awesome and addicting

I love it!! I generally don't like vertical shooters, but this one is so exciting I can't stop playing it. it's simple but challenging at the same time. I don't like the graphics, but I understand it's the only way to run smoothly so many elements in a tiny flash screen and the random enemy generator is a good effort. Music is awesome and the spiral evolution system is so damn cool!
It's almost perfect! (only because perfection doesn't exist ;P)

Squize responds:

"only because perfection doesn't exist ;P"

You've obviously not seen me naked ;)
Thanks for the review, glad you enjoyed it. Cheeky plug, but the sequel, DN8:Pulse, is up on NG now too.

A great Touhou game, man there is nothing that can put a smile on your face quite like attempting the seemingly impossible task of dodging hundreds of little circles... Great game, Great art, awesome backgrounds, great variation, keep up the good work.

DN8 is strange.

DN8 is so strange. A spider (or asian) can play this in a flawless manner but forget about it. Playing this game makes you develop an uncontrollable passion for Bullet Hell shooter games. At first, it may seem piece of cake, but get to the last 3 levels. You'll see the meaning of the game. Involving blowing the h311 out of DN8 is such a hard objective. You need nerves of steel to terminate this game's revealed (and "Shhhh, it's a secret") achievements. In general, it's a 10/10. If it was rating in parts, I would do: Addictingness: 10/10, Hardness: 2193/10 (WTF?) etc. Creepy, but the backgrounds here are AWESOMECAKE EPIC FAIC. All I have to say, and again, 10 outta 10.

Squize responds:

Thank you so much mate.

I think quite a few people played the first couple of levels, where to be honest there isn't a great deal of fun to be had as I try and get people used to the feeling of the game, and left it thinking it was just some sprites flying around and not much else.
I think by about half way through it starts getting rewarding, and hopefully by the end players are left with a sense of accomplishment for beating it.