Reviews for "They Came From Nam"

Secrets? In my Newgrounds?

Secret medal is not dying!
*disappears mysteriously*

Manly-Chicken responds:

I know! No matter how many times I hit the medal, it just won't die!

EPIC WIN

EPIC WIN!!!1 this game is the shit i lol so much 3 days epic epic epic epic epic epic just epic

Manly-Chicken responds:

I don't get it... Did you think this game was epic?

Three days??? Dude!!

This game is awesome for a 72hrs work, but that's why I can't rate it higher. Anyways, the graphics are okay, but the un-smoothness makes it look like it was made in Paint (is it?). Music is THE epic. Story made me ROFL but it could be animated, not just a bunch of pictures with description, but as I said before: "Three days??? Dude!!". It really needs upgrades and more levels, but, as I said before twice: "Three days??? Dude!!" So, yeah, I like it.

THREE DAYS DUDE!

Good Game

The game had its ups and downs but overall it was a good game. Thank Manly-Chicken, for making my day.

You're welcome!

Execution could have been better

For a game jam game, it somehow still gives the feeling that this flash was mish-mashed together by some teenager with little thought or reasoning. It also didn't help that you put "Jesus" in the protagonist's name. (I'm agnostic btw)

But I sat on it and thought about it. While not the most original idea ever, you did what you could given your theme. Though one could easily argue you flip-flopped the paper airplanes with the burning giraffes. Overall, the style of the game, from the rock music (suggestably composed originally) to the red bandanna to the flaming giraffe to the utter insanity of blasting paper airplanes from Nam fit together quite nicely.

When the day was done with, I discovered the game designing around getting a high score was pretty good, with exception to the fact that you regenerate health. I think how to score really high is something for people to discover for themselves. But proof that I'm not just spitting shit is that I'm sitting at 97k points on the leaderboard, while simply completing the game nets you 50k. AM I HIGHSCHOOL COMPARED TO NAM YET!?!?

Things I can complain about: the black planes always follow the same path. You seriously couldn't randomize them like all the other planes? And for level 3, it completely sucks balls getting fed 7 red planes in a row and then have a dozen blue ones appear on the other side of the screen (one of two times that I died). And before I forget, the size of the shot needed to take out blue planes is much smaller than the size of the enemy would suggest.

As the score is quite low, this game is a good example of good design in some regions, but very poor appeal in others (or bad instructions). And while you didn't win the hearts of the masses, you have won the hearts of the more knowledgeable people interested beyond the "how fun is it" factor. On that end, your 3rd place in the Game Jam is certainly merited.

Manly-Chicken responds:

Thanks for actually playing the game, and not dissmissing it because you can't find the mute button.