Reviews for "Burrito Bison"

Fun

I like it quite a bit. The music was very well done also. Great Job!

Off, OUCH, AHH CRAP

Wow this game is so awesome sauce with bombs on top

Wow

Omg i played this game for 2 hours straight O_o

Simple yet intuitive fun

Graphics: I like the three distinct sections of Candyland, how they're all done with their own separate style. The arena definitely carries a "Bullfighting" kind of feel to it, matching with the character of Burrito Bison. Then the town has paved roads and buildings, actual homes, making it feel in fact like little tiny Gummi creatures live there. Then you get to the countryside and there are candy canes serving as trees. The characters themselves all have a fairly distinctive visual style to them -- Bison certainly (and I like the smaller touches -- even on my low quality, smaller screen I can clearly make out facial expressions and the scrapes and blood that come from Bison making contact with the ground are a nice touch that other games of this kind seem to miss much of the time. Each gummi is distinguishable with its own color and item, which definitely helps for split-second recognition when you build up speed and have those things zipping by quickly. Nice touch. The animations are very fluid, and in a game like this it's great to have. It doesn't choke my connection even though I don't have that great of a quality of connection, there was no slowdown or stuttering.

Sound: The soundtrack isn't that expansive but for the nature of the game it doesn't have to be. However the music did fit the mood of the imagery, story, and moments. In the shop, it highlights more of the sense of Burrito himself, that kind of Mexican spaghetti western with a modern kick to it. Meanwhile the music during the attempt to break out of Candyland definitely feels more adventurous. It manages to feel at once like a grand flighty escape and yet still have a feeling of exploration to it. Bison is simultaneously venturing into the unknown and yet doing it in order to get back to a familiar place -- home -- and the gameplay music achieves that difficult and elusive goal of music makers, actually telling a story on its own while complementing the overall work.

Concept: Well I don't think that this is necessarily like Toss The Turtle. It's certainly no more a ripoff than Toss the Turtle was for any of the games that came before it. Launcher games are nothing new in that respect. However whereas other launcher games have a more random feel to them, this actually has a sense of purpose. Distance for the sake of distance isn't the point. There's an actual goal to reach. That, plus the two checkpoints in the way of the doors that must be broken through before the mirror to escape Candyland allows the player a tangible sense of progress. Instead of a small sign marking how many feet or meters that a character has traveled, one doesn't need to worry about that. They can focus on the core mechanics, which involve building up enough speed to break through those doors that they know are coming up. The powerups, both to Bison and in the form of the different gummis that can be encountered at greater levels of frequency, definitely serve for a sense of buildup and progress. All that cash you sink into the powerups and that door that previously seemed impassable becomes little more than a checkpoint. If one needs a sense of carrying on for bragging rights or post-game, even after you escape Candyland you can still keep going back and trying to beat your previous time. And that everything is controlled just by clicking the left mouse button anywhere on the game screen makes it that much better for interface purposes because you can focus on the progress and not the controls. Which is important because unlike other launcher games that typically require that you not interact with the environment, Bison requires it.

Overall: Excellent standalone game. It's not something that will take up hours and hours of a person's life but it's not supposed to. No matter how many or few powerups a person has purchased, the game can still be fun for whatever time you put into it, and the very generous learning curve allows anyone to jump in. Well done.

happy thanksgiving :)