There's a reason fishy is a classic, and this game makes me appreciate fishy a lot more. It's all subtle stuff but it adds up:
1. Fishy has fish that go horizontal only, which makes them less frustrating to avoid and a lot harder to get trapped or surprised by.
2. Fishy loops left to right and right to left, which makes for some death-defying escapes.
3. Fishy has much, much tighter hit boxes. Hint: fish do not eat other fish with their tails. They use their mouths to eat. So a tail-to-tail or tail-to-fin hit should not be a kill. Here, it sometimes felt like your hit boxes were just big loose rectangles.
4. Fishy uses discrete fish sizes. There's about 12 of them, and they're color coded. Makes it a lot easier to realize what you can and cannot eat. This uses a gradient of fish sizes, all one color, so you constantly have to guess whether you can eat something.
5. Fishy provides the all-important shells in the upper left corner to track your progress. Here, you either die or win.
So overall, when it comes to gameplay, every time you changed what they did in fishy, I think you came out wrong. In story, comedy, and especially the ending, I like yours better, so you get a 3. But please - especially if you're going to compare yourself to a classic - do your homework. Great games are great for a reason.