Reviews for "Ballad of the Reaper"

WOOT! ALL MY 5 R BELONG TO THIS!

Yeah, rated it 5/5, cause i like your style of using drawings, no voices and using music as a key component to tell the story. (yes, i know you can't animate). The story also tells itself just through the picture, so anyone would understand it.

RandomStar responds:

Thank you kind sir! :D Originally there was meant to be dialouge cause I didn't think the story would be clear enough without it, but turns out it worked just fine anyway, PLaU is really talented, being able to tell the story through her drawings alone.

It was deep

Deeper then a lot of these tools think, thanks for stickin it out through the problems

RandomStar responds:

Deep indeed. And I'm glad I did finish it despite the trouble.

If there was something to be said it would be this

The animation, or rather fine artwork, pencil and pen, hand drawn it take it, was superb and was very well reusable. You did not have to make a different picture for every second as most people. The music was divine, and it went really well with the flow of the story. It was slow, but intensified over time to follow the story. The music itself was touching but the part that really got me is when he pretty much said im not here for you, but your child. That made me feel miserable, as this movie should. I see no way that I could score you less, than a 10.

RandomStar responds:

Wow, that's quite a review, thank you very much! :D Nothing could make us happier than to know we actually managed to touch people emotionally with our work, we're very glad you liked it!

Pretty good Story

I enjoyed this, though it was a little bit gut wrenching to see the child taken away. It just seemed that this was nothing but scrolling in and out of still pictures and trying to get the music to match, unless that's the way you wanted it to look. But the art was great. Intriguing and sad. Great job.

RandomStar responds:

Thanks! Well, the whole idea was to use still pictures and sort of let them and the music speak for themselves, so there's really not much else to do than scrolling in and out; the movement is just there to bring some extra life into it, rather than actually serve any animatative (is that even a word?) purpose.

Very Well Done

I enjoyed the detail of the art (I belive it's pencil?) and the great use of the Ken Burns effect. It gives a great feeling of sympathy for the poor mother as she loses her newborn.I did notice that in a couple of scenes you decided to reuse certain drawings to complete the plot. I also noticed that the first drawing of the reaper differed from the rest of your drawings mainly in the face/hood.

Overall, I enjoyed this. It brought me back to High School Television Productions Class. I would enjoy seeing more films like this, it seems to suit your skills well. Some advice is that you could use a little less detail for less important aspects. Might help with that file size. I might also suggest that you create a character on a seperate sheet of paper, giving you a chance to iron out the details.

8/10 and 4/5

RandomStar responds:

Thank you for the kind words and advice, if we ever make another film in this style we'll be sure to consider it!