For the month of April we have disabled ads on all E-M content. We need 12 people to reach our goal of 3,000 active supporters. If we hit that, we'll continue with a new goal in May!

Reviews for "Haunt the House"

WARNING SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!

the secret medal is SHOOT FOR THE MOON!!! MEANING TOUCH THE MOON!!!!!!

Great game little tip:

The secret medal is NOT scaring away all people without killing them :D

I was able to do that in 13 minutes and got rank S.... :(
Good luck hunting for that secret medal everyone!

swweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!

this is awesome i think my favorite scarre is making the moose head get super long !!!!!! but i think i scared someone to good cause they jumped down the stairs!!! and another one in the basement i scared a little girl so bad she ran THROUGH THE THE GROUND AND OFF SCREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A very unique concept less than uniquely executed

A game like Haunt the House has a lot of potential. The idea of playing as some malevolent spirit in a house full of possessive horrors sounds too fun to pass up at least a glimpse. It was something reminiscent of the Sims; being given all the tools one needed to essentially drive a group of unfortunate sprites to overwhelming insanity. We all have a dark side and, quite frankly, it feels good to play with it once in a while.

Unfortunately, this game ultimately failed to bring about that nefarious satisfaction in me.

It starts slow; your little ghost restricted to darting from room to room, causing the occasional house plant to wiggle or a barrel to shuffle across the floor. This might have been very entertaining if their movement controls were more responsive and the house guests were a little more responsive to their environments. As it is, I would often find myself launching a chair past five people's heads without so much as a glance.

That said, it does picks up somewhat when the atmosphere metre begins to creep upwards and more interesting spooking options become available. It is obvious that a lot of effort was put into giving each object its own terrifying personality and each of them are quite fun to watch. Despite the increasing obviousness of the little devil's influence over the house, however, the tenants remained still annoyingly oblivious at times.

Another issue I had with this game is that there are simply too many people moving around at once. When I terrorize unfortunate NPCs, I like to do it one at a time so that I really get the satisfaction of driving them into isolated madness. When there are five people in the same room, it becomes impossible to focus on instilling terror in one of them without sending the other four running around in a chaotic mess. For a typical ultraviolence game, this would have been acceptable, even encouraging, but for a haunting game it only serves to cause confusion for the player, thus turning the satisfaction of stalking a hilariously ignorant victim into a mad dash from room to room and object to object.

Though the game's mechanics are less than satisfying, the cartoonist artistic style of it is quite entertaining. There is a lot of fun to be had in watching one of these silly looking folk run around screaming with their eyes shut before jumping out of a window in hopeless abandon; I only wish the means of getting him there were as entertaining. Recognition is also deserved for the devilishly nasty ways in which objects later spring to life when the atmosphere metre reaches its peak. In any case, the visual flair of the game is truly inspired.

The game's other virtue is its sound. Musically, shadow6nothing9's pieces are every bit as dark and whimsical as any of Danny Elfman's Burton projects, which suits the haunting theme excellently. The objects themselves also have an impressive repertoire which ranges from charmingly silly to downright spooky. Were it not for these, the rest of the game would have been quite deflated indeed.

Haunt the House is an impressive but messy project. The visual and auditory appeal are enough to distract from the flawed mechanics for a couple of rounds, but not enough to keep one coming back for more. It is not so much haunting as it is crowd control and multitasking, which ultimately robs the player of the strange but wonderful intimacy that is the rather unreciprocal relationship between predator and prey.

Im an acesine

i love playing this game... but everytime i play it i kill over than 15 people...
i suck...this game rules hehe