Reviews for "Mystic's Shore"

- NGADM Round 4 Review -

Oh, this might just be my favorite track from you. I couldn't help but sing along and hum some harmonies! Very pretty. Your intro is wonderful, and 0:53 and 1:13 is just yes. You have a good sense of rhythm in your singing. Ah, the composition in this one is great. Outtro is done with no less skill. It's very lovely to listen to.

The only thing I feel I should point out is the vocal recording, itself – it is very clear, and clean; however, your voice doesn't mix with the rest of the track as well as your background vocals do, for example at 1:28 - they seem to hang above the rest of the instruments in an unnatural way. Still, this is an improvement over your previous tracks in regards to that. Overall, this a great song that I won't be likely to forget.

Score: 9.6

etherealwinds responds:

I uploaded a new version with the main vocals a bit quieter. Thank you so much for your review ^ ^

This is an NGADM Round 4 Review.

What I liked:
-Atmosphere is fantastic.
-I really love the instrumental stuff going on the background.
-The lyrics, especially the English ones, are thoughtfully crafted and skillfully written. I’m very impressed by them.
-The fact that you sing in a language you’re not familiar with is impressive as well.

What could have been better:
-The vocals are far too loud in the mix. They stand out considerably to me, I would have liked to see them integrated a little better.
-Sounds like you could use a de-esser at times, or less compression.
-The ending wasn’t bad, but I felt like it was a little out of place from the rest of the piece.

Overall this is an excellent piece that sets a wonderful mood. Great job!

Score: 9/10

etherealwinds responds:

Thanks for the review and the kind words and critique alike. In my fifth submission, I've certainly paid a lot more attention on the levels of my vocals and of course a de-esser on my splosives! I also worked hard to make it so that the song didn't have any parts that seemed detached from the rest. I'm very thankful for your advice!

This has such a soothing vibe all throughout; ancient, mysterious, and otherworldly like the mystical lands of Shambala or Tír na nÓg. An excellent portrayal of that ultimate state of being and oneness, Nirvana. I suppose such levels of enlightenment can be like going to another location, a plane of existence both higher and further away, yet still tethered to the earthly domain if only for a little while. Some chills were definitely had, and I always love when that happens. And here you're singing beautifully in Mandarin, as well. Of course, because that's just how you roll. You ridiculously talented bugger, you. ;)

I would personally prefer a little less volume on that ethereal pad at the beginning of the song, but that's a purely personal preference. Possibly. Probably. Whoops, I got kind of carried away with words starting with the letter P. Pardon.

I apologize for the lateness of this review, and I won't toss some silly "I've been too busy" excuse out because those are always bullshit anyway. I suppose, in all honesty, I have felt more strongly about losing than I really thought I would. I have no regrets or anything like that, but you know...melancholy and whatnot. It's a thing. I still love you and your work just as much as ever, and I just want you to know that.

You have managed to create yet another thoroughly haunting song, and I congratulate you on such an incredible feat. You're like a runaway freight train of musical goodness, Jordi. Best of luck to you as this crazy contest continues! ^__^

etherealwinds responds:

Haha my instinct when it comes to leveling truly sucks. No level-ups for me anytime soon! ^_~ thank you for once again a lovely review. I do truly appreciate your words and I'm glad you liked it!

you already know my opinion on this song, but I figured I'd review anyway. I'm in absolute awe of the sheer magic you've conjured up here. it's one thing to have a canvas full of interesting colors, harmonies, melodies, etc. but the way these elements speak to each other evokes such a blissful mood beyond rationale. your lyrics are pure poetry (+100 points for incorporating Mandarin), and your singing isn't half bad either. =P

what I'm impressed with the most is that your blending of styles is conveyed with honesty, rather than just mixing it up for the sake of mixing it up. the Asian/zen-like elements are present, but in context with your signature "etherealwinds" sound.

keep it up, good sir! I'm confident that your next piece will be even better than this one! ;-)

etherealwinds responds:

Thank you Jacob and once again, thank you for pointing me in the direction of some amazing VSTs for my piece after this. Really appreciate it! <3

Oh man, wow.

The Good:
-I like the introduction and the echoes on most things. They sound very pretty. There's a little reverb on some of the voice which makes quite a satisfying hiss.
-God damn all the melodic material so far, it's very pretty.
-Erhus are good. Did you use the free VST for them?
-I absolutely LOVE that buzzing percussion at about 1:11. Do tell, what is it?
-Using Chinese for lyrics DOES get you extra points from me, methinks. '-'
-You obviously put in a lot of time on this one.

The Not-So-Good:
-This piece often sits on a single chord like a brooding mother hen. Seriously, you don't need to have the same chord for the first minute and a half.
-This often reminds me of Runescape. That can be good, but in other respects not, such as good. One such would be repetition, another would be instrument quality. As much as I'd like to discount that, it IS a factor.

Overall: Score of 9.5/10. Well, I have to say, there's not a ton to nitpick on in this. That said, I didn't try as hard as I could... but you'll get that next round. <3 You know how some songs are just made really well but don't quite "click"? That's what it was with this for me.

etherealwinds responds:

Thank you for your review! The buzzing percussion sound is from Gladiator and is one of the drum loops under the vocoder section! I thought it added a little bit of depth to this otherwise potentially airy fairy piece. I've not played Runescape since I was about 11 ha, I used to be so bad at it. I mean what kinda person would play Runescape but be afraid to actually go into the wilderness incase you lost all of your items? Hahaha. Thanks again!