Reviews for "Thousand Dollar Soul"

An incredibly dark and thrilling journey!

What an amazing ride! I was intrigued at first- the future Todd is here, and he's going to help me out- help me to get a girl, apparently.

But what you discover as you play this game is not only that it ends abruptly sometimes- but that it has very good reason to. This is the first time I've seen a choose your own adventure that had sudden endings that made logical sense. The earpiece thing- FT should really have gotten a strap for that or something I mean he blew a grand on it- I didn't get at first. At first I felt just like Todd, in that I had no idea why I was waking up in Future Todd's body with a severed finger in my pocket. But then I met Clint, and then I started to piece it together after some of the horrible options presented themselves- leaving the invisible FT alone with his now-teenage 4 decade obsession after presumably killing a man?

The "I was Drunk" during the Africa storyline pissed me off a little. I'm not sure why. It makes sense, considering what the unaltered Todd becomes later in life. It just pissed me off a little. I guess because I had no control over that. I had control over the Angelfire part, so why not the alcohol part? That seems like a time FT would jump in and say something like "Hey, get her really drunk and you could be golden! Go for it, wimp!" Considering the structure of the story, it'd probably end up as either that or "I refuse" leading into yet another "ok fine, end simulation" ending.

The back button is the only thing that kept me in the game. I'm one of those people who would keep several bookmarks in their CYOA book to "revert" death and I wouldn't have made it very far if I had to replay the entire game word for word. I certainly wouldn't have hit every ending, though I did have to pull the guide up for one I missed. (It was just a FT-earpiece one anyway.)

I didn't really notice the artwork. The expressions changed yes, but it was only only when a dramatic change from what I kept seeing occurred that I took notice- Angela's a great example. I only really noticed when I got a scene where she was passed out that "oh hey the portraits change occasionally."

What I did notice was the way the portraits USED would change depending on what location in the page you were on. That was a nice touch, even if I didn't really see them that well.

This was an amazing story. I'll piece together what I learned about it.

Spoilers:

It turns out that as Todd grew up at first, he didn't make any successful moves on Angela, his lifelong crush. Years, even decades pass by. Angela marries a friend of hers- Clint. He's a jerk and you know it, but your obsession never left you. Someone invents a thousand dollar earpiece that has the ability to scan your brain and conscious mind. Taking this "scan", it replicates a virtual reality world and allows you to place yourself inside it so long as the simulation is running. FT finally snaps. He buys one, determined to see a virtual world where Todd gets Angela. The first of the events occur for Todd, where he saves Angela's mother or not.

FT snaps once more- after seeing Clint in the virtual world. He breaks into Clint and Angela's house, beats Clint and ties up Angela- who later escapes via a butcher knife- but not before activating the earpiece again. He cuts Clint's ring finger off as an act of defiance against their pairing, putting it in his shirt.

At this point, if you chose a path where FT gets away (any storyline where his body is inhabited at the time YEARS AFTER the break-in- Africa comes to mind), he goes to Cancun. His lifelong dream, as Todd describes way at the start.

This is why the world ends so much:
Our Todd turns out to be a simulation. If at any point FT decides that timeline was no longer worth pursuing or is killed, the world ends abruptly. The earpiece simulation is ended. That's why all those endings are there. If you let FT have his way, he gets satisfied. He probably makes it a favorite and reruns it, trapping you. in those same decisions forever.

Endings 16 and 34 are the best. 16 is just neat, and 34 is the most humane.

GregLoire responds:

Thanks for the review. I actually agree with your criticisms. I couldn't figure out another way to progress the plot other than have the earpiece fall out, so that little coincidental event ends up happening more times than I was happy with. :-P Oh well!

I added in the alcohol thing during a later edit because I wanted to show that Todd has a bit of a just-beneath-the-surface dark side to him even if he's still relatively innocent and feels guilty about it, but I thought about editing that part out later. I could have gone either way... Maybe I should have left it out. Oh well.

wow

I'm not really into text games that much, but this is amazing.

You've drawn me in with the story, and the endings I have gotten so far only make me want to try again. Maybe you made it so that the game injects crack into my mind somehow, but I really can't get enough of this game! :D

Great job!

Amazing!

Let me just start off by saying how much I enjoyed this! I thought this was going to be boring, but this is the best "choose your own" story I have ever read. I had to get all 35 ending with no walkthrough.

I literally still have chills from thinking about it all at the end. The way you weaved the story was wonderful. I found it to be thought-provoking, effecting, chilling, violent, tender....I mean this really had it all! My favorite ending was #33 :P

The title is perfect, the presentation is awesome, the story is EPIC! The only thing I can even think of is 2 spelling errors which are insignificant and considering how large the story is it doesn't really matter.

Again, Bravo! I loved this, I need to go check out everything you ever made!

You truly have a gift for storytelling, well done!

Amazing development in the characters.

Re-played this gem here for a bit, never gets old.

But, no matter how good of a story this is, I am not here to talk about it. I came here for you Greg! (nohomothough)

When are you going to finish the sequel? you told me it would have a sequel! I don't care if have a daily job, or if you don't have time or if you just have other things to do, just give us the sequel goddamn it!

YOU HEAR ME YOU STORYTELLING BASTARD!? THE PEOPLE ARE STILL WAITING! >:(

Jokes aside, I came back here to remind you mate, you're awesome.
Just wave a flag or something dude, we need to know if you are alive, if you are going to do the sequel or work on another game, or quit doing then, that would be nice.

GregLoire responds:

Ahhh, thanks for the support/pressure!

The sequel is still mostly in my head; I'm ironing out some details, but I have all the major events planned out. I'm starting the first draft right now, but it's probably still a few years away from being finished.

HOWEVER, your comment motivated me to update my previously empty reality-tunnels.com domain with a rough timeline of the prologue. So, thanks!