Reviews for "Steam's Wonderful Contraptions"

This piece is simply fantastic. It's a blast to listen to and it really nails the overall theme. For some reason it brings to mind Raymond Scott's classic "Powerhouse," which has been used to great effect in equally classic Looney Tunes cartoons.

It's like the theme music that would accompany some kind of crazy carnival or toy factory that's run by Batman's arch nemesis, The Joker. Insanely fun and playfully dangerous all at the same time. The beeping at 2:22 even made me think of the timer on a bomb that's just about to explode. I enjoyed the ride at every turn, and I can't honestly say that I have anything critical to add.

Very well done! I wish you the best of luck, but I don't think you'll need it. Top marks from me.

steampianist responds:

Like Raymond scott's powerhouse you say? wow thats really flattering, simply because I love raymond scott's works along with scott bradley's scoring in tom and jerry. Thank you so much

Another awesome piece! I always look forward to your uploads and I am constantly impressed with what you come up with! :)

steampianist responds:

This is an NGADM Round 2 review.

No way man. I can scarcely believe my ears. I always thought you were an excellent composer since your audition, but thought that the thing that stopped me from considering you indistinguishable from professional composers is your production quality. Mechanical Anima had that lack of low end, and I felt that Skyfortress - City of Diz got a bit cluttered at times, so I always thought your production quality, while usually good, would be your bane. I stand entirely corrected and dumbstruck. That was masterfully produced. Everything is crystal clear and mastered so well (especially that amazingly clean low end). Don't get me started on your sounds as well... again you use Edirol, a VST previously known by me as being fairly low-quality, and your sounds are just perfect.

You mix in sound effects flawlessly, giving this a distinct vibe that's indicative of your style, but at the same time this is a whole universe away from your Round 1 track in terms of mood and genre. I loved that train whistle as well! It added so much to the atmosphere. What I like the most about this track would be your rhythms though. Everything sounds so carefree and rhythmically you have huge amounts of variety. Your composition is also fantastic; plenty of lovely counterpoint, harmonies, shifting the melody to various instruments, etc. Of course, I can also commend you on your brilliant structure, transitions, and so on, but I think we can take that as a given in your music now.

Finding issues in your music is like rocket science, I'm telling you. Really, the only gripes I have is that sometimes, the composition feels ever so slightly flat, but your rhythmic excellence makes up for that. Also, I feel like the train whistle at the end was unnecessary. It feels like it works more as a background element, and when you added it at the end I firmly believe it ruined the subtlety of the ending.

Those two minor nitpicks aside, this is just incredible. Keep up the excellent work.

Score: 9.7/10

steampianist responds:

Hahaha thats why I make it up for the composition and im so happy you loved the train whistle haha
Ah edirol. My oldest vst you make me feel like im the only one who
Carried an 18th century pistol and went to a modern warfare haha

Again thank you for the awesome review and I always look forward to your nitpicks

Dude, I had to give a return review! The mix on this track is great! Wonderful use of space, and you have all of these instruments that should totally be at odds with each other and they somehow work great together! Awesome energy throughout, you totally deserved to win our little match-up. ;)

steampianist responds:

Thanks man and I call this this kind of instrumentation harmonious contradictions hehehe

Great work, can't get enough of it, 6th time listening through as I write this review, then i forgot which one of your other songs I went to, but it utterly frikin' creeped me out, so now i'm back here, no regrets about that decision. To put it shortly 10/10 I LOVE IT!