Reviews for "Steam's Wonderful Contraptions"

Classy. It sounds like it might have some Disgaea influence.

steampianist responds:

ah thank you... really disgaea? im going to go check out some disgaea ost now

NGADM Review:
---
Now this is what I look for in a piece. Interesting, varied, well-built, and above all, original. Fantastic work! I love the instruments you use, and the general vibe of the piece is so damn quirky it's hilarious. The sound effects and the instruments just come together so brilliantly it's almost unbelievable.

The development throughout the piece is amazing, and I didn't get bored for a single second. You've got a couple of odd transitions here and there, but other than that I can't really find much to complain about.

Overall, great piece! You're definitely one of my favourites, and I just can't wait to hear what you come up with next.

Score: 9.4/10

steampianist responds:

Thank you for the review im glad that it amused you

This sounds like it should be in Battle Block Theater!

steampianist responds:

this is awesome dude, keep it up

steampianist responds:

Hi. Considering you won with the highest score out of any participant I think it's fair to say you didn't win just out of luck.

The Good:
-Those random effect samples are so hilarious and awesome.
-I'm surprised you managed to make Edirol sound good, I guess this is what happens when you use it for something it's not intended for as much.
-Certainly has the dance vibe you said you wanted to get across.
-The various bits of extra percussion you use rhythmically are spectacular.
-Overall composition is great, it really fits the title and feels funky as heck.
-Transition at 2:21 is spectacular, I love it. :D

The Not-So-Good:
-I think the transition at about 0:14 is a tad bit awkward.
-Sometimes with all the effects, other effects get buried such as around a minute and 30 seconds, the percussion in the background is very buried and is more just background noise. Similar happens to some background arpeggios at about 2:13.
-The ending is slightly off-putting with the awkwardly off-key steam whistle. Not sure if that's intentional or not.

Overall: Score of 9.5/10. This is just so quirky and awesome, it fits your title beautifully. All the various effects just add to it, the only thing I really think you need to work on (before getting really nitpicky) is your mixing. Don't bury the awesome effects that you have. :c

steampianist responds:

I think I may have gotten a little bit carried away with the whislte hahaha its my own recorded sample I got too happy with it

Thank you for this helpful review.