Reviews for "Automation"

be careful with buzzing and crackling sounds.. Especially if they are repeating as often as that some people might not llike it. I had bad comments wth it in the past. Good song but people wouldn't actualy download it and listen repeatedly bedafuse it has tooo many of those ambient effects

Step responds:

Whoops! I wanted to make it sound like a labortatory/factory was constantly at work, but maybe I went a bit overboard x_x.

Anyway, it works fine for the game so I guess that's at least a plus. Thanks for the honest criticism man, it's what helps my music improve!

It is a ripoff of Mechanical Anima hahahahaha I think it's even in the same key signature or very close to it. But since there's a lack of this kind of music here I think it's still very welcome. Still professionally done. There is definitely a rich underline of percussive noise here, but the melodies also take over in a sense. I can't say I hear anything really counterpoint as each phrase sort of lets way for the others in an order with instruments working together in one melody at a time, but definitely good harmony work and complex instrumentation. I wish I could do the same. Especially with such perfect production construction where no crevice is left empty. Great work!

Step responds:

Yeah man, after three attempts at trying to make a cave/lab theme I said "screw this" and ripped off a Newgrounds track haha. Although joking aside, I did admittedly borrow a lot of ideas from that track! Mostly the whole "machine + orchestral instruments" idea and some percussive ideas (and a few notes off one of the melodies unintentionally!). His track blows mine out of the water though.

Aw man, I really tried to add a bit of counterpoint in this. It's one thing I have always been very bad at (my songs are usually structured as one melody in the foreground and then everything else supporting it). But maybe I just have the wrong idea of how to make counterpoint :P.

Thanks for your help in this track, and for this review!

I love the mood and instruments - all those effects with the machinery and metal tools add a lot to the piece. The amount of variation is incredible! I love the structure and transitions. It makes me think of tired-looking, rusty robots working in a busy factory. Amazing work! :D Engaging melodies, cool instruments, well-defined mood, dynamic contrast - you did it all! You just earned yourself a fan, Step! :D Outstanding job! ;D

Step responds:

Yesss, that's what I love to hear! Thanks a lot; I'm particularly happy that you like the variation and the dynamic contrast, two things I'm very careful of in my tracks!

Also thanks for favouriting me :3. I'm very glad you enjoyed this.

Wow. You can really tell that you've put in the hours of work it took to perfect this piece. The atmosphere is so industrial yet genuinely beautiful at the same time. Before hearing this, I wasn't sure that was actually possible. It seems I'm learning more and more about the music world every single day.

I really enjoyed the way the music box brought the beginnings of this piece together and the contrast between the orchestral instrumentation and the mechanical half of the composition I felt was extremely well thought out. I feel this is less of a review and more of an awed comment of a finished and perfected piece of work.

Step responds:

Oh man, thanks for a second review! Love your reviews, it means a lot coming from a person who swiftly became one of my favourite composers and singers on this site.

"Wow. You can really tell that you've put in the hours of work it took to perfect this piece."

It's what I try and aim for in every track of mine. I am very, very bad at speed-writing and have to put a tonne of detail and time into every piece of mine. I don't know about other musicians but I can't compose something unless I'm entirely satisfied with how it's coming along haha.

"The atmosphere is so industrial yet genuinely beautiful at the same time. Before hearing this, I wasn't sure that was actually possible. It seems I'm learning more and more about the music world every single day."

Got to credit steampianist's track - it gave me the inspiration for this track, and probably nails this atmosphere much more than I do.

"I really enjoyed the way the music box brought the beginnings of this piece together and the contrast between the orchestral instrumentation and the mechanical half of the composition I felt was extremely well thought out."

Thanks! Glad that worked.

"I feel this is less of a review and more of an awed comment of a finished and perfected piece of work."

Aw shucks x_x. Thanks!

"It shows true workmanship to take a song and receive feedback from so many other artists to really get the *best* out of a piece. I'd have loved to watch this composition unfold. Really fantastic."

I believe getting feedback from lots of other people during the work-in-progress stage is a veeerrrry important thing to do. Opinions from other people really help clear up the perceptive "fog" of bias that a musician has while listening to his/her track, and other people can point out things that the musician himself/herself wouldn't have noticed, along with, of course, give cool ideas that can really shape the direction of the track.

Anyway, enough rambling. This review made my day (more like my week). I can't thank you enough!

srsly dude, this is an awesome theme! wow. I like the athmosphere really much. Those anvil sounds fits perfectly. Its like youre in a weird abandoned factory or so. There are plenty of changes and sounds, so it doesnt get boring, never. ever. It really sounds like it's just performed live, with some extra effects underneath. I like it. Best classical composer you are.

Step responds:

Thank you for this review! I lost count of how many reviews you gave my tracks man, haha. Very grateful for it!

"srsly dude, this is an awesome theme! wow. I like the athmosphere really much."

Great! It's what I worked hard on in this track.

"Those anvil sounds fits perfectly."

I really wanted to add some anvil sounds to the track, and as I was browsing through East/West Symphonic Orchestra Silver's library, I literally saw a patch named "Anvil". Most convenient thing that has happened to me in a while!

"Its like youre in a weird abandoned factory or so."

A friend of mine said it sounds like a factory! Other people said it sounds like a haunted mansion, which was definitely not the atmosphere I was aiming for. I guess factory is closer to what I was aiming for though.

"There are plenty of changes and sounds, so it doesnt get boring, never. ever."

Variety's important, so that's good to hear!

"It really sounds like it's just performed live, with some extra effects underneath."

I really need to credit East/West's sounds for that. The solo string patches, in particular, sound just amazing. I used a solo viola in this track.

"I like it. Best classical composer you are."

Best classical composer? Maybe in some distant universe haha. However, thanks for the support, thanks for the review and thanks in general for BEING AWESOME. By the way, I've been keeping myself updated with the remix of The Festival, can't wait to hear more of it!