Reviews for "Automation"

I wouldn't say ripped-off more like referenced haha but i'm happy to know that my track inspired you. i really am. i love those noises from the music boxes i think ill download them might actually save me some work from tweaking hi-hats and also you're orchestration is outstanding the melody makes me feel like drinking earl grey and tinker on some contraptions haha (if that makes sense)

....im not so good at making reviews and pointing out faults but when i hear music that i truly enjoy i simply say bravo! and then downloads it haha. also keep making more music like this "the-not-usual-cinematic-orchestral-music"

...in fact everyone should try

Step responds:

Oh man, I HAVE BEEN FOUND OUT. Well, uh... um... this is awkward.

But in all seriousness, I'm really glad you didn't take it in a bad way that I was so heavily inspired by your track haha. It really is an excellent track and the style you made it in certainly inspired me to make something similar.

I'd highly recommend the Old Music Box VST. It's great to give your track a "clockwork" kind of vibe, along with the fact that its sound effects (and the actual music box notes themselves) sound awesome.

I agree that there should be more orchestral music which isn't just usual trailer/film-like soundtrack. That style has been pretty overdone, especially here on Newgrounds, and while I certainly enjoy making that kind of stuff, whenever I do I always try and make it more about melody and structure, and less about sounding like a soundtrack.

Very happy you enjoyed it, good luck in Round 2!

This is absolutely astonishing. Everything you described is heard clearly in this song. Bravo. 5/5.

Step responds:

Aw thanks! It's what I was aiming for, so this review gave me a bit more confidence in this track. Glad you enjoyed it.

I think its Like in a Invasion or War... Something like that
Or maybe in a Jiffy or Work..
Eh, i'm not Good at Music so maybe.. Good Job =D

Step responds:

Haha thank you. Regardless of what you think it sounds like, glad you enjoyed it!

The good stuff is that I thought that the production was immaculate and the sound design and choices were just awesome. There's a lot of really fun percussion going on under the scenes. The music box sound effects are really awesome too. I think you completely nailed your goal of 'cave laboratory' (funny place to put a laboratory IMO, but who am I to judge?). Sounds to me like you're sneaking around on cat-walks as oblivious scientists below mix colored liquids. :-)

My biggest problem with this track is that the melody work felt a little less interesting than the work you had on your last few tracks for the same game. There are a few exceptions, particularly the 4 notes at 2:04, but overall it seems to lack some sort of spark. My other complaint, which you saw from a mile away, is that it does sound a LOT like steampianist. Notice how I didn't complain when you were inspired by me? ;-) (But really, I thought you took my style in a completely different direction.) This is a much more minor thing, so don't worry about it - I think it's important to draw from influences in order to grow as a musician! Though I think it's also important to combine your influences so no one can tell what you stole from. ;-)

Step responds:

Oh man, your reviews are just some of the best ever. Thanks a million!

"The good stuff is that I thought that the production was immaculate"

Fantastic. I was having a bit of trouble actually; lots of stuff going on, especially in the low/lower mid range of frequencies, since I've got a thick cello section and 2 double basses, along with, of course, the drums, but I tried my hardest to stop it from sounding like a mudslide.

"and the sound design and choices were just awesome."

Sweet, thanks!

"The music box sound effects are really awesome too."

They are, aren't they? Just some sounds that come with the VST if you play notes in a really high octave. I thought they fit quite well!

"I think you completely nailed your goal of 'cave laboratory'"

That's what I was hoping to hear!

"(funny place to put a laboratory IMO, but who am I to judge?)."

Tell that to Batman!

"Sounds to me like you're sneaking around on cat-walks as oblivious scientists below mix colored liquids. :-)"

You're not the first to mention sneaking. Perhaps the pizzicato strings are doing that.

"My biggest problem with this track is that the melody work felt a little less interesting than the work you had on your last few tracks for the same game. There are a few exceptions, particularly the 4 notes at 2:04, but overall it seems to lack some sort of spark."

You know, I think I admittedly should've focused more on melody. I focused a lot more on the background, atmosphere, harmonies, etc, and as a result the melodies are mostly based heavily around the harmonic minor scale. I tried to do that to make it sound more artificial and machine-like, rather than making a melody with a bit more expression like that of The Festival or Sky's the Limit, but I agree it would've been better if I nailed a better balance between making it sound machine-like and still making the melody more interesting.

"My other complaint, which you saw from a mile away, is that it does sound a LOT like steampianist."

Oh yeah x_x.

"Notice how I didn't complain when you were inspired by me? ;-) (But really, I thought you took my style in a completely different direction.)"

True, this one's just a direct copy of the style steampianist had.

"This is a much more minor thing, so don't worry about it - I think it's important to draw from influences in order to grow as a musician! Though I think it's also important to combine your influences so no one can tell what you stole from. ;-)"

Haha, I really couldn't help it though. I tried attempt after attempt to make something that fits for both a cave and a laboratory... first throwing in some synths and arps on top of a booming drum background, then heavily-reverbed guitars on top of a drum kit, then I don't even remember what I did. Deadline was approaching, so (like I did for Sky's the Limit) I decided to randomly listen to some NGADM artists' music. Came across ZipZipper's and steampianist's and I might've taken it too far haha.

"(And melody is the most subjective part of music, so I might not have any idea what I'm talking about.)"

It is indeed, but I agree the melody was kinda boring!

"Anyway, the good news is that the production is really awesome and all the detail work you did with the crazy hits and twisting of music boxes and constantly changing orchestral sounds is massively appreciated. Keep the melodic stuff in mind but don't stress out about it too much. Just know that old grumpy man johnfn is listening. :P"

Old grumpy man johnfn is what keeps me on my toes! Thanks for the detailed criticism; I need to repay you with some super huge review eventually; shame the NGADM is taking so much of my time x_x.

Thanks again, this review really helped!

I know! I've found your future job for you. When Joe Hisaishi retires you should take over from him and score Studio Ghibli's stuff. You'd absolutely get my vote. :)

Step responds:

Oh you. Thanks a lot - you've reviewed the whole soundtrack! I'm really glad you enjoyed this, and thanks for the support!