Reviews for "Utopia - NGADM '13 Entry"

I like the instruments and melodies a lot. The mood is engrossing. The emotion is excellent, and it really comes out with the chords at :44. I also like the more energetic direction it started taking after around 1:05, and the transitions with the crash. A very engaging and well-structured track. It's a song that really tells a story, which I love. The dynamic contrast is superb, the drama is fantastic. It's just a gripping piece. The best piece I've reviewed on NG in a long time. Epic is an overused term, but there's simply no other way to describe it. This is epic! Best of luck at NGADM. TheBenjerman has met his match! :D

papkee responds:

Well let's not get too excited now. Ol' Benny spends weeks on his tracks. This one was made in a few days. One thing's for sure, it will surely be a contest.

I'm only 2:50 seconds in, and my mind has already exploded for the amazingness of this song. I like the beginning, with the slow feel, and then the energetic rush at 1:05, like the Door said. I enjoyed the structure of your piece, with the slow-energetic-return to slow-energetic-slow pattern, and how each time you brought in another melody addition with underlying tones for support. Your harmonies were literally music to my ears, and your dynamics and counter-dynamics beautifully written. I'm literally staring at the screen replaying this song. My only problem is the ending, I feel like you could have extended the last note a little longer, with a small bass/cello support, and draw it off more.

papkee responds:

Well originally the song had quite a nice ending that really tied it all together. However, it was one too many tracks for my old laptop, and it caused a heap of other issues. Unfortunately I had to make the cut. :(

Thanks for the review!

I'm going to rate this song 5 stars everyday until I forget because it deserves it.

Awwww. :')

great try on the main piano could of been a little better, great orchestral sounds, good use of the vibe, and i agree it sounds like its building up to something but not quite finished, i agree in the repeated melody, and about the notes johnfn pointed out, its a great song and i could see it (if funished) being used in allot of things, keep it epic man, still looking out for your stuff

The main theme of this song is really, really good. Like, seriously, it's one of the better melodies I've heard in a while on Newgrounds.

There are a few minor issues with it though. First, and definitely the biggest, is that the production is a little poor - instruments sound muddled in the climaxes. Second, the piano at 2:10 sounds a tiny bit clumsy (those repeated notes shouldn't be there). And as a minor nitpick, the ending left me feeling a little unresolved.

But this song is wonderful and the melody is, like I said, seriously awesome. So keep up the good work there. :-)

Thanks!

The mixing was a huge issue with this piece, as I was trying to squeeze a little too much out of the instruments I had. Trying to get any countermelodies in at all was hard, as anytime I changed the volume on a track something else went wonky. Course it might be that the countermelodies themselves are a bit wonky.

Thanks for the review!