Reviews for "Utopia - NGADM '13 Entry"

The main theme of this song is really, really good. Like, seriously, it's one of the better melodies I've heard in a while on Newgrounds.

There are a few minor issues with it though. First, and definitely the biggest, is that the production is a little poor - instruments sound muddled in the climaxes. Second, the piano at 2:10 sounds a tiny bit clumsy (those repeated notes shouldn't be there). And as a minor nitpick, the ending left me feeling a little unresolved.

But this song is wonderful and the melody is, like I said, seriously awesome. So keep up the good work there. :-)

Thanks!

The mixing was a huge issue with this piece, as I was trying to squeeze a little too much out of the instruments I had. Trying to get any countermelodies in at all was hard, as anytime I changed the volume on a track something else went wonky. Course it might be that the countermelodies themselves are a bit wonky.

Thanks for the review!

I'm going to rate this song 5 stars everyday until I forget because it deserves it.

Awwww. :')

I'm only 2:50 seconds in, and my mind has already exploded for the amazingness of this song. I like the beginning, with the slow feel, and then the energetic rush at 1:05, like the Door said. I enjoyed the structure of your piece, with the slow-energetic-return to slow-energetic-slow pattern, and how each time you brought in another melody addition with underlying tones for support. Your harmonies were literally music to my ears, and your dynamics and counter-dynamics beautifully written. I'm literally staring at the screen replaying this song. My only problem is the ending, I feel like you could have extended the last note a little longer, with a small bass/cello support, and draw it off more.

papkee responds:

Well originally the song had quite a nice ending that really tied it all together. However, it was one too many tracks for my old laptop, and it caused a heap of other issues. Unfortunately I had to make the cut. :(

Thanks for the review!

I like the instruments and melodies a lot. The mood is engrossing. The emotion is excellent, and it really comes out with the chords at :44. I also like the more energetic direction it started taking after around 1:05, and the transitions with the crash. A very engaging and well-structured track. It's a song that really tells a story, which I love. The dynamic contrast is superb, the drama is fantastic. It's just a gripping piece. The best piece I've reviewed on NG in a long time. Epic is an overused term, but there's simply no other way to describe it. This is epic! Best of luck at NGADM. TheBenjerman has met his match! :D

papkee responds:

Well let's not get too excited now. Ol' Benny spends weeks on his tracks. This one was made in a few days. One thing's for sure, it will surely be a contest.