Reviews for "Anthem of the Adventurer"

This is an NGADM Round 1 review.

Great intro! Sounds like this could belong in an RPG for sure. Reminds me of sailing. I really like the part at :37, though the mixing could be a little better – I feel as if the arpeggiated strings should be taking a back seat to the neat melodic stuff you have going on, but they really stick out. While I like the build in the middle of the piece, it definitely could have been a bit bigger. In general, I think, the piece could have been “bigger”. The modulation, while a good idea, just sort of crept up without notice. Maybe the introduction of a new instrument, descant, or cadence would have really helped build the section before the modulation. And naturally, I was hoping to hear the modulated part give me something new other than the same thing in a new key. The ending is a bit abrupt, kind of like you’re reaching the top of mountain to shout “VICTORY!” and right before you take your last step you trip on your shoelace. Maybe because of the voicing in the violins (they should resolve upward to the tonic!). All this said, this is a great piece and I very much enjoyed listening to it! It takes me back to my old gaming days.

Score: 7.5/10

ChronoNomad responds:

Thanks for leaving me this informative review, bassfiddlejones! Everything I used was strictly a Squidfont instrument, and that was maybe part of the problem. Honestly though, I didn't have much else to use at the time, but I've been busy trying to expand my instrumental repertoire for better quality going forward.

As for the arpeggiated strings, they were a bit softer originally, but it was suggested that I make them stand out more...which I ended up doing kind of against my better judgment, and that was - in perfect 20/20 hindsight - was probably a mistake. Everyone hears something different, so sometimes suggestions run counter to each other; that's fairly inevitable, I suppose.

Nothing you've said is untrue, though the stumbling on your shoelace analogy did kind of make me cringe. ^_^; C'est la vie. I'll be taking all of this input with me as I move forward and hopefully continue to improve in my musical journey. I'm really glad that you still enjoyed the piece regardless of its flaws, and once again thank you for taking the time to leave this review. I truly appreciate feedback more than I can ever express.