Reviews for "Artist's guide to the Gun"

Good Job

I was pretty suprised at how informative this was. Tons of information about guns that I didn't know about since i'm not a huge gun fanatic(especially the jam types). I don't think i'll make an animation with guns anytime soon but it's also pretty informative on different ways to make muzzle flashes which a lot of people forget to use. Anyways I see this as being a great little tutorial for people making madness animations since it covers all of the things that you would need to know for those involving guns.

StealthBeast responds:

Good, I hope you utilize this information eventually.

Kind of wish you told me why I got a 9 and not a 10 though, as you had absolutely no complaints about this flash.

But 9 is great anyway. Thanks for the review.

Just what I needed!

Eventually going to have guns show up in my Flash animation, I kept thinking to myself "I'd better learn the basics about guns and how they work!" I never got around to doing it, but I just came across this today and knew that this would most likely be a big help. After watching, it was just the thing I needed, as it provided all of the information on common guns as well as things like jams and muzzle flashes that I was also needing to know about if I was ever to confidently begin using guns in my projects.

The visuals were kept fresh with shiny guns in the background and filled in the gaps nicely. It also appealed to me how there was no obnoxious, unnecessary dance music inserted or anything.

This was a very helpful tutorial and has covered pretty much everything I wanted to know about guns in general. The only other thing I would have liked was a bit more on shotguns and assault rifles, but I have the general idea now anyway and could probably quickly find what I need to know using Google.

StealthBeast responds:

I was contemplating putting music in the background, but figured people would probably want to listen to their own music as they watched. Besides, it keeps the file smaller.

I wish you told me what it is you wanted to know about shotguns and assault rifles so I can address it specifically, but what may be important to you:

The most popular shotguns seem to be 12 gauge, pump action shotguns, and of 12 gauge, pump action shotguns, the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500 seem to be the most popular. They're good references to a generic shotgun, so if you're looking for shotgun specifics, Google those.

The amount of ammo a shotgun can hold is determined by the length of the tube that extends underneath the barrel; The longer the tube, the higher the magazine capacity. Note that this Remington 870's magazine tube extends all the way to the end.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread .php?t=369163
Similar sizes often hold 8 rounds in the magazine
Whereas, this 870's tube probably holds 4, 5, or 6 rounds.
http://astorarms.ca/images/non-restri cted/remington%20870%20%2012ga%20aaaa a.jpg

Assault rifles are covered by similar rules of the semi-automatic pistol section: They always eject brass, they're prone to jam, and they usually have safeties. Clearing a jam in an assault rifle works the same way as a pistol, just replace the word "slide" with "bolt".

HOOOOOLLLYYYY CRRAAAAAP!!

and people call ME a gun nut...

9/10? Blasphemy!

Pretty good!

Very good, im not much of an artist but damn this is good! My only gripe (albeit not huge) is that you said that semi-auto pistols use recoil to chamber the next round. Recoil is actually caused by the sheer power of the gunshot, whereas chambering is basically the gas-power from the gun shoving it back and a spring pushing it forward. Plus showing a sawn-off would be useful, seems popular but thats up to you. All in all, though, fantastic tutorial, rock on man!

StealthBeast responds:

There's different methods to chambering the round. M16s and the like bleed the gas to the chamber to cycle the next round like you said, (This is called a "gas-assisted blowback") but very very few handguns use this technology... in fact, I believe the Desert Eagle Pistol and the Kevin ZP98 (AKA the "Micro Desert Eagle") are the ONLY handguns on the planet that use gas-assisted blowback... I believe .460 Rowland 1911s also use some sort of a gas-assisted system to handle the higher output but I'm not 100% sure so don't quote me on that.

Most other semi-automatic handguns use some sort of recoil operation. For example, all 1911s, every single Glock pistol, every M92 Beretta variant, every USP variant, and every SIG model, uses a recoil-based operation, NOT gas-assisted blowblack.

Shotguns all perform fundamentally the same, and my easy to understand points regarding shot spread would have grown confusing if I introduced different barrel lengths. I could have put a sawn-off shotgun, I could have put a semi-automatic shotgun, I could have put a box-magazine shotgun, I could have put a bulpup shotgun, or I could have put a fully-automatic shotgun, and the point would still be exactly the same: Most shotguns of any choke spread between 1 to 2 inches for every yard of distance... Why make it any more confusing than it needs to be?

At any rate, I'm still glad you liked it and I hope you got something out of it.

I liked it.

Does what it's meant to do. The only other thing I coulda hoped for was a list of interesting guns to Google and maybe a picture or drawing of it.

StealthBeast responds:

Here's some widely recognized, famous/historical guns you could find a plethora of information on Google about:

-Pistols:
Glock 17
M1911A1 (My favorite practical handgun)
M9 Beretta
H&K USP
SIG P220
.50AE Desert Eagle (My favorite impractical handgun)
Fiveseven

MG42
M1919
M249
RPD

That's just a nothing-special list of guns I picked off the top of my head. If you're an FPS player, you probably recognize half of these guns.