Reviews for "Boy with Nails for Eyes 2"

Oh to have your talent.....

As per my comment some time ago on the prologue, the artwork you've invested in to this series is still beyond amazing and helps to create the atmosphere set for the entirety of the storyline. I must admit, I especially liked the "eggshell" pane for the metaphor alone.

So, what was lacking? Well the audio. What was there was once again perfectly placed, but this time around it just seemed as if there were too many empty panes/pages without any audio connection to it like before. IT gave it a disconnected feel to the storyline because of this. Part of this problem is maybe you set the bar way too high before and now we're (or at least I, lol) am expecting it to be there again. This fish audio worked out great for timing btw :)

I honestly missed the whole poetic side that it strives to produce during the prologue. While the storyline attack works for it overall here, I think having it back in its poetic form would have been much nicer. Just personal preference though.

Something you may want to keep a look out for: Since we HAVE to watch it in full screen to be able to read it (I didn't so much mind it this time around since I was expecting it), the page forward bar only covered so much of the flash window so the full panes (or at least those that run along the right side) could see a hairline piece of the artwork as it moved around. It was a little distracting. This is mostly noticeable during the first frame, but can be seen in a few other spots as well. You may want to bump the "Page Forward" button to the right about one or two pixels.

It felt a little short but that was to be expected I believe. Overall you did another amazing job here. Your artistic talent still makes me want to stab myself in the eyes from any lack thereof haha....Keep up the great work and we'll see where it goes from here :)

P.S. I forgot to mention this since it slipped my mind, but his name was really hard to read in the opening page. It's a light gray on white. Was this intended? If so you may want to darken the gray color at least a touch. I almost completely missed it.

Close to perfection

The images, the music, it's all amazing. The greatness of this comic makes the tiny, tiny things I want to complain about almost invisible, but yet annoying.

I love this.

This is my only request:
PLEASE work in a higher resolution. The fact that the images get pixelated when blown up really bugs me, especially when you have included a way to do just that (zoom). If the next chapter looks as good as this one, and does not look pixelated in fullscreen view, I'll give it a 10/10.

Unsettling, but Fragmented, Narrative in Nails

In case you didn't read the first comic, the prologue, this one repeats the same instructions. Make sure you actually follow them, or else you'll squint too hard.

This Lovecraft-esque tale of plague and the disease-laden haze of the child who suffers from it... it is difficult to make out, to be perfectly honest. There are scenes of countless broken eggshells, whirlwinds of blank or scarred papers, and a series of dreams and phantasms that dwell beneath the surface. Nothing makes any real sense, but perhaps that is the nature of the illness; it is heavily implied that tuberculosis is the culprit.

Due to the constant prolonged haze, it has to fight against its own haze to make any real sense to the typical viewer, especially at Newgrounds or anyone with little preference towards comics. Despite this drawback, The Boy with Nails for Eyes, both sections thus far, is a noteworthy read and definitely worth the time for anyone into something macabre without gallons of gore.

Pinhead

I liked the style, but flash really isn't a place for comics, especially with that ugly, pixelated zoom.

I know that this was posted a little over six years ago, so me reviewing it now is probably irrelevant. However, I was very impressed with the artwork and your style as an artist, but that's where my enthusiasm ends. Good artwork can't save a frankly boring and forgettable story that is written in a pretentious style. I was even a little confused by what you were going for. Why was Bobby in love with Susie/Daisy/whatever her name is? Why did he look into the drain hole of his bathroom? Why did his mother insist that he wear plastic bags on his shoes? Is Bobby sick? What are the dreams supposed to mean? Maybe you did answer some of these questions in your other parts of the comic or in this comic itself, but the way you may or may not have presented this information just left me confused, bored, and slightly annoyed at your attempt to write "poetically". Some of the writing style works in your favor in some of the scenes, such as the scene where Bobby is trying to do something with some paper when he thinks about the girl he likes (is he drawing? writing?). However, it is best to be used sparingly because the "poetic" style of writing loses its novelty very quickly because that style of writing just seems to be trying way too hard to sound smart when there's really not that much substance. If you're going to write, write as plainly as possible; don't feel the urge to "sound smart" because most of the time you'll end up either sounding pretentious, foolish, or both. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to bring substance into your work, but what I mean is that you should bring it about in a way that people can feel that it is accessible without demeaning their intelligence. Instead of writing, "She detected the faint conspiratorial scent of illness," try to say something along the lines of, "She thought that he looked sick," and instead of, "Her son; he was spectre pale and silent," try, "Her son was spectre pale and silent," (that particular example didn't need to be edited that much; just needed to take out that one word to keep it from sounding redundant). It may or may not be what you're going for, but it sounds a lot clearer. A good rule of thumb that I'm still working on as a writer: write how you would normally speak. If you don't speak like this, don't write like this.