Reviews for "Ultimate Chess"

One of most accessible chess game online :D

This game is no fluke. It got depth and wealth of authentic instructions to the classic board game of chess. I played 5-10 times and never really get bored playing it, showing how much of polishes you crafted into this game. As good as this game can get, there's some of big flaws that could impede the game's success.

GRAPHIC
basic, but very appealing and casual with lot of souls put into bloody animations that are surprisingly good. Best of all, the chess pieces are easily recognizable with some are hilarious take on actual piece, such as Rook being a Cook and Bishop being Wizard and Knight being Horse. It makes sense in this game and did not detract. Animation kills are very neat, though it can get repetitive because it wasn't really all that good beyond 2nd or 3rd time. Perhaps they could be bit more hilarious rather than just another "cool" kill.

SOUND
Get the job done. Music is very nicely selected. Not detracting too, which is a big plus.

GAMEPLAY
Authentic chess in great casual package. The Chess Rules guide is a great learning tool for getting into chess and I was surprised to learn few new things! Great effort like that make this game so much better. The point-and-click system works amazingly and help the game to flow well without any slowdown or annoying glitches. The difficulty is thankfully managable without frustrating you like the hated Chessmaster game, providing just about anyone a nice challenge (unless you're expert chess player).

However... the difficulty can be easily taken advantage of because the game is TOO kind enough to let you take too many steps back if you made any mistake(s). I think that made the chess game TOO easy since I beat the game all the time. There is a way to fix this error, such as:

1) keep this feature and create three different difficulty. EASY with flexible Undo button, MEDIUM with limited Undo button, HARD with no Undo button
2) allow only ONE Undo for each move so that you can't go far back

Also, I felt that with such a wonderful engine you produced, maybe you should add some Challenges so we have more of incentives to come back and play the heck out of this game. Not a bad idea, no? Great game devilishly wrapped in casual package for anyone to play.

A fine work, indeed.

Soullock's Score: 8.2 / 10
Newgrounds Score: 8 / 10

RatherRandomReality responds:

Thank you for your review and your suggestions, Soullock.

Chess?

Great game and good fighting clips but if it werent chess it be awesome like if it was 3d thatd be word

Good game

but it's hard to win)))

In addition to the checklist, you should have some way of viewing the animations without having to play the game after a player has unlocked them in the game. Not hard for someone who plays chess for a hobby, but amusing & fun.

Very entertaining. Another version of battle chess. Pity about the AI being so silly, but its all about the kills, not the game. If you want a serious chess AI, there's plenty out there. Just a word on castling, it's not if the rook is under attack, it's only if the king is under attack during the move (in my first game, I tried castling while the rook was being attacked and couldn't).

As fun as it was, I couldn't be bothered trying for all the endings. How long would it take to get all the king kills? I'm not going to find out.

RatherRandomReality responds:

How long will it take? Less than it took to animate those for sure. Thanks for playing!