Reviews for "Bounce the Coffin Dodgers"

An Hilarious Romp!

Wow, how far can you take a concept so simple? This far! The graphics have been designed well and while the gamplay is quite simple, there is still more you could do to enhance it.

The music was good and not that annoying, while the sound effects were just perfect for a game of this calibre - funny, but you always get the feeling that you could be doing this for one of your own.

To improve upon the concept, I'd have recommended that you have more grannies and grandpas that go flying through the air and have them equipped with various types of jewellery, that the paramedics in the ambulance can easily purloin - this would be the bonus to your score, thus giving you the chance to get a really high score and possibly even bonus lives (buy your way out of trouble for killing off some of the pensioners, that is)

With the limitation of this game quite steep, perhaps take a step to combat this, by adding levels in various places across the USA, ending in places like California and / or Florida, since lots of wealthy Americans end up there, thus giving even more ridiculous amounts of cash.

[Review Request Club]

SantoNinoDeCebu responds:

Some of those idea's about how to gain extra lives are genius!

I'm now intending to make a flash that has a series of mini games like this, weaved together in a little story mode - I'll be sure to add in some of these ideas!
Nothing beats ransacking old people!

Cheer, J

Good job

Was expecting something worse, but looks like I stand wrong.

Fun game

It was a little slow starting before more old biddies came out of the building although the difficulty increased at that point, fun game.

SantoNinoDeCebu responds:

Hey thanks, yeah I wasn't to sure on how to tune it as adding 1 extra character increases the difficulty by quite a lot! So I thought to just ease into it at the beginning to warm the player up would be the best bets.

Cheers, J

Cool

The game is pretty nice, man, I kind of liked it, it's a great game to play when you have time to play it, I really like this concept, the beginning was pretty easy, but it gets harder after 2 minutes, what is great, so, it challenges the player, it was a nice game, huh...

The art was super cool, very well made, I liked the animation, you made a nice job, because the art gives the special touch of the game. Also, NG has a lot of games like this, but most of them are awful, but you made a nice job here, I really liked it... Congrats.

The game was very fun, I liked it a lot, and i had a good time playing this, it was very funny, too, keep it up man, I like it, and I wanna see more from you...

(Review Request Club)
Roger

SantoNinoDeCebu responds:

Thank you very much!, Glad you enjoyed.
I found it quite difficult to balance the difficulty of the game evenly, might need to of made it pick up slightly faster.

Roll on the summer and free time and hopefully I'll have more submission on the way ;)

Cheers, J

Addictive

For a simple concept, this is quiet addictive, and on the whole it's an enjoyable game. It has its positive things and its negative things, although the pros outweigh the cons nicely, so in all this is a good game ^^. I managed to get a 65 as a high score, after like half an hour xD. Persistence FTW.

I was very impressed by your graphics. The background was superb, the characters were drawn really well, and nothing really looked sketchy or out of place, except maybe the fire at the top left. Not saying that it looked bad, because it looked fine, but I think the whole 'OMG the building is on fire' theme would be more effective if you had more fires surrounding the building, instead of one rather weak one at the top left. Instead, maybe, you can make it that the fire gets bigger/more fires are added in different positions around the building as you progress through the game. As for the animation, it was smooth overall, apart from the fact that it lags quite a bit, although it's probably me and my habit of leaving programs open in the taskbar instead of closing them when I'm done. *closes all programs* *plays game* Yeah, it's just me...

What you can do for more variety of animation would be as Fro said, to have more stuff going on in the background, such as birds flying, clouds moving, planes soaring past, etc... By the way, you should add a quick quality choice button while you're playing, typically 'Q'. I must say that the game is really chaotic and fun (not to mention extremely hard) when you have the quality down to lowest, all programs closed and all the processes you can end ended. That's why I think that a quality button would help a lot more instead of having to right click, go to quality, and choose the quality.

As for the concept, it isn't extremely original, but that's not really a big problem. Gameplay on the whole was very good, and I liked the fact that different characters fell at different speeds; it really forced you to multitask and keep your mind on all of the characters and not only 1. So yeah, gameplay was great, but the problem is that the gameplay is so basic...

Fro has some very good ideas, and I agree with him on having levels and a shop in-between. Maybe powerups can fall from the building too and if you get them, something happens, such as a powerup of bird feed where if you grab it birds will cover the screen, pick up every helpless elderly person in the screen currently, and transport him/her to the ambulance, or maybe another powerup which removes one of your casualties. Ideas like these could really spice up your game, adding some more originality and replay value to it. I also really like the idea that Fro suggested about a bit of a background story. Add some funny cutscene at the beginning showing how the fire started (with an option to skip it, obviously), then you're taken to the main menu.

When it comes to the audio, on the whole I was impressed. The song fit really really well with the game, and the sound effects were fine. I was hoping to hear more moans from the old people instead of just a bouncing sound effect, but other than that the sound effects were fine. Maybe you could add more audio options such as a choice of different music (the flash filesize is pretty small, so it won't hurt to make the flash a slight bit bigger), ability to mute the music/sound effects/both, etc...

In general I enjoyed this game. It's very addictive because of its difficulty and gameplay mixed with such a simple concept. In a nutcase, my only issue with this game is that it's too basic; it's as if it does what it's supposed to do (bounce around old folk) and that's it. Spice it up with some animation in the background, more fire animations, powerups, levels, a shop, a cutscene and even some audio options too like mute and a music choice. You have a very good base to build on, and I believe this has a lot of potential, so I think you really should consider upgrading this a little. In all, keep up the excellent work, and good luck on your future flashes.
8/10
4/5

-Review Request Club-

SantoNinoDeCebu responds:

haha yes, the flame does look a lil' piddly! After realising how hard it is to draw fire I figured piddly flame will have to do!
Ye thanks for the idea with toggling quality and sound, I will definitely add it in at some point as well as future projects, can't do no harm being in!

Cheers