Reviews for "Pixelknight II"

Very fun!

Ghost and Ghoblins minus the sadistic difficulty! That about sums it up.

S'alright

First game was fairly fun, this one I think was better.
I did NOT like how easy it was to accidentally pick up terrible weapons.
I found I loved the falchion, then I tried the orb and thought it sucked. Lucky me I found another falchion, then I got hit just as I opened a box, forcing me into the orb again. BOO!
Too many of the weapons were either useless or actually BAD to use (axe).
The speed of the character was not enough to keep up with the enemies in order to make many of the other weapons worthwhile.

Weapon Guide

Best:

Shuriken. Flies in a bit of an arc so you can hit things slightly above you, but travels straight enough so that you can actually hit things in front of you. Also fires really fast.

Usable:

Axe is okay because your momentum controls the arc, but when you're standing still, not too impressive. May be able to hit hard to reach places, but makes normally easy places to reach hard to reach places. :P Fires relatively fast.

Crossbow, two shots one after the other. Too bad the enemy can't take two hits that fast, so the second arrow passes right through if the first hits. Okay for crowds, not so hot on strong enemies.

Falchion. Fires as slow as the knife, but it's large and passes through every destructible object in its path until it hits a wall. Fairly large range means less aiming needed, but it may get in the way if you're trying to hit something and the blade smacks against a nearby edge.

Bow. Fires a shot forward and one low diagonal. Okay, but many enemies will not actually fall in the range of the second shot.

Knife. Default weapon, tosses a knife forward. Not too fast, not too slow, it's okay but not spectacular.

Horrible:

Boomerang. Fires fast, comes back to you, but then it is ruined by its really small range and the fact that the boomerang doesn't actually pass through enemies like the Zelda games, making it just a really short range weapon. Bleh. The boomerang follows your height when you jump, but there's not much application for this ability.

Orb. Operates like a normal shot, but it sticks to walls. Useful if you're fighting something that crawls on the wall. What's that? Oh, right, NO ENEMIES DO THAT. At least none I saw. If there's a use for this, I'd like to know.

Well...

You definitely did make the game feel like Ghost 'n Ghouls, not much like Castlevania, and oddly enough like Ninja Gaiden except for those dickish birds who always spawned midjump. *grumbles*

However, I do have to agree with a lot of other players on this one. Where the original felt a lot like a good defense-type game, this one strayed a bit too far from the formula.

I enjoyed the fact that there were only a set number of enemies, I didn't enjoy that pretty much after your first step they would immediately start to home in onto your position.

The weapons are indeed broken, and in need of a fix. The Shuriken was my personal favorite; in games like these, I would prefer a weapon with faster attack speed and a slight arc to those of much slower, but heavier damage output. Everything else pretty much wasn't worth my time, seeing how the weapons either have a slow attack speed (the Knife), move with you (the Boomerang), or are an anti-air weapon(the Axe) when a vast majority of your enemies are on the ground.

Ghost 'n Ghouls also had a life system in place. You died, you would restart at a checkpoint or the beginning of the stage and your lives would go down a notch. I think adding that may help keep the flow of the game going rather than having to die once, restart all over again, and learn from the mistake.

All in all, an average action platformer, but in need of some refinement.

nice