Reviews for "REDDER"

cool

u can also find it a XGenStudios.com

Almost perfect

Wait! There IS room for improvement! Okay - the world destroying itself is cool, but becomes quickly annoying. Get rid of it. The nine 'levels' you have created are uniquely different, and the mood created by the classic-style graphics and perfect music choice carry weight (the atmosphere was close to disturbing!). I wanted to play each 'level' AS IS, but my enjoyment was interrupted by the (I'm assuming intentional) graphics glitch. The difficulty level was masterfully done - I'm not a gamer, just someone seeking the perfect game to get my mind off a hard days work, and I was addicted. I want more. Another world. Please - but another element needs to be introduced - a new kind of enemy, the ability to shoot or jump upon... something traditional. This game reminded me of the DOS games of my childhood. Hardly any new games do that. (Also, simple is better - no story, no plot, no characters - it was great to just start playing without wondering what the hell I was supposed to do. I got to explore!) Congratulations on creating an original game. It was smooth and playable. Not much else on these free game websites are.

A Great Game.

The first time I saw this game,I played it for a minute,thought it sucked and promptly forgot about it. Yesterday,I got bored and saw this again. Deciding to give it another try,I played it again. For a few minutes I felt aimless,jumping around and looking for the gems. When I found the first one,and being a competitive person,I was determined to find them all (or at least get out of the planet.)

It may be aimless and boring at first but as you play through it's really amazing. The graphics aren't much,true. But a game doesn't have to be ultra 3D or whatever to be great.

I think it's smart,witty and brilliant how,when you get quite a lot of gems,(maybe 20 or so) the planet starts to glitch,lag,becomes really weird. It took me a while to figure out (or maybe I only made it up,my mind makes up lots of things on the go) that maybe those gems somehow stabilized that planet,or in other words held everything in place. And those sometimes helpful but often more irritating green and red barriers were designed to specifically keep and protect those gems,to keep that red planet stable. Those guns and robot-things could also be keeping them safe,protected. But as you collect them,everything glitches.

Umm...got carried away. :P Anyway...great game,in other words.

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar.

REDDER is exploration in its purest form. No leveling up. No upgrades to collect. Just plain old simple exploration.

Wait, did I say "plain old simple exploration?" What I meant to say is unique, challenging, and deeply rewarding exploration. The jumping at first feels off, but it's not; more like how Mario feels slippery until you realize it's better that way because it's predictable and master-able. You can control the height of your jumps the longer you hold the button...nothing new I grant you, but your astronaut (or maybe cosmonaut...the game is called REDDER after all) can jump really high, and you can stop your vertical ascent at any point by letting go of the jump button. This leads to some tricky puzzle type setups where you need to time your jumps just right in order to secure your prize.

That last part might make the game sound hard. It isn't...at least, not for an Auntie Pixelante game. Anyone who has the patience to beat a Mario game (or even a Sonic game) could beat this without too much trouble. Checkpoints are common; that's a blessing. I like the ability to warp to a checkpoint and your ship too; it makes some of the exploration more less boring (not to imply the game is boring because it isn't).

The music is very fitting and catchy, and just when you start to get tired of it...*SPOILERS*

You've collected enough gems to start to warp and glitch the world enough to also warp the music. It's all an awesome, unexpected, and thoroughly enjoyable moment, while also motivating the player to continue collecting gems just to see what happens next. I'd have said the story was simple and cliched; astronautic lands on planet, needs fuel (or is greedy and wants to collect gems that the ship detected), must escape, etc. but this added element throws a wrench in the synopsis. Although there is no overt storytelling in the game, I like to imagine that the reason the visuals and sound start warping are because: A - The astronaut is running out of oxygen and is starting to hallucinate. B - The gems the astronaut is collecting are radioactive and therefore the more the astronaut collects the more the astronaut hallucinates. C - The astronaut is simply having hallucinations due to isolation. Or D - A combination of A, B, and C. Of course, you could just say it's a cool design decision and leave it at that.

I should also mention that I like the main puzzle mechanic too. The red and green switches (that in turn activate red and green platforms, but only one color can be active at a time) can lead to some really cool gameplay moments. I found myself thinking "My, that's clever," over and over again.

The endgame scenario (when you've collected every gem) is awesome too. The complete breakdown into Atari 2600 style graphics and sound (minus the music) is super rad. I love the idea that this game, as complicated as it is, could have been possible on an Atari (if it could be squeezed down to like 5KB or whatever the max filesize an Atari 2600 game is).

So far, I think this is Anna Anthropy's crowning achievement. Mighty Jill Off is good, but in my opinion just isn't as fun or engaging as REDDER.

Long review longer: REDDER is so good I'd pay money for it. I mean it. Put it up on XBLA and I'd pay $5 for it as is. I MEAN IT...although I guess hypothetically you'd have to add a leaderboard (speedruns would be super fun) and achievements (halfway there already...here's the another six off the top of my head: Beat the game without dying. Beat the game in less that ? minutes. Collect enough gems to start hallucinating visually. Collect enough gems to start hallucinating aurally. Collect enough gems to BLEEP BLEEP BLOOP BLOOP. Start your game over after having collected every gem and 100% map cleared), but it would be worth it.

Thanks Auntie Pixelante for such a great experience!

10/10 A++++ High Honors etc.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL0101OLOLOLOLOL OLOLOLOLO.