Reviews for "Coal Runner"

decent

please allow the usage of WASD for the controls instead of the arrow keys in your next game

Very lovely!

Good choice of music, only some sounds are missing, especially the saw.

The jumping sound/animation are a bit annoying when pressing down jump while in air.

I had problems with only one jump, i think the one after the second checkpoint (nearly stopped playing there) The problem was that I would go into hover mode too early and interrupt the jump. it would feel more natural if the jump innertial would not get lost (completely) from hovering.

Very nice scenery and shift of them. I'm glad you didn't forcefully make parts of the game longer by adding more of the same. Thanks! :)

Compliments to the boss fight! Rather than making the thing smash the brain (which is what I thought I have to do) you have to use the weapon as support for moving/jumping/hovering - which is what the game has been about :)

I would have loved a secret or two (a tunnel for which to reach you have to go back which contains a friendly robot who cheers to your escape or reveals some back story...)

Hey,
Wow thanks a lot for the great review.. There is a secret cave but no back story.. I wanted to put a woman's voice coming from speakers like an alarm allowing for more story.
I think i might be making a sequel and its great to hear the good advice, so i will try and make the next one better.
I will try and vary the sound fx for the jump and improve the hover for the sequel :-)

Foxith, how can you be that irrationally harsh?

Bad physics? Yes maybe, but does that matters? Fine, one point off.
Bad control scheme? As a noob flash player who sucks especially in platformers, I think it is challenging yet friendly, only a few tries are needed.
Bad sound? Don't you see the mute button? Half of the games in NG with sounds doesn't have a mute button.
Bad style of play? It is supposed to neutralize the hardcore of the control!
Bad originality? Find something which is original, and has a graphics better than this, please.
Finally, Foxith gets reasonable. Yes, the graphics is great.

:-) Hey thanks

good but

good game but only 2 things i hated, the wheel system, if u tapped the button to slow down u would stop then wheel uncontrollably to that direction, and 2 the bounce system, it seemed the harder i hit, the less i bounced, and going almost no speed into a wall sent me bout 6 of my guys size distance to the opposite direction, this was annoying in trying to stay on the last bosses spy atk as if i hit the wall id fall off.

jjwallace responds:

I wasn't to happy with the way you had to balance on the boss' smasher.. I wanted to make it better but it would have complicated the level structure. When i get around to making a sequel i will redesign the wall collision :-)
thanks
-jay

bad

Bad physics, you bounce off of walls harder than you run into them.
Bad control scheme, you cant jump while holding a direction. you lose upward thrust if you press a direction.
Bad sound, annoying jump noises/boring music
Bad style of play/little originality. you can complete almost every puzzle by jumping the max height and floating, and this game has been done a thousand different times, each better than this on NG before. why this has so many 9's and 8's and such below me confuses me.
No issue with the art style, or animations otherwise.

Bad, review
You are to picky; i made the game in AS2 and i didn't use Box2d or any of those crappy cheats.
Hey you got a problem with the physics engine why don't you make me a better one for the sequel? :-)