Reviews for "RetroShoot360"

@CamelJocky

You DO realize he IS the maker of the original right?
Anyway, it is decent, but can get tricky. Perhaps making movement keyboard controlled and aiming mouse controlled?

Not quite there

I like the idea but it needs some polishing. Gets boring pretty quickly. J-dev pretty much said it all.

good concept, bad implementation

The idea was a good one, but the way you went through with it was a bit off. Earlier reviews have mentioned using a WASD or arrow-key movement with mouse aiming system, and I agree with this; it'd help a lot. You have waves that move towards you, and in the early stages of the game, you can't use the weapons that allow you to dodge them and hit them at the same time, so the only option is to barrel straight for them and hope you don't get hit. Speaking of getting hit, if you're going to have a "three hits then you die" life system, change it so you lose your powerups when you die, not when you get hit. Aforementioned enemies that fly towards you hit you too easily, and therefore you become too weak to quickly.

Also: why tease your players with all the firing options and invincibility in the simulator? Isn't the point to practice dodging? Getting them used to the game first? You have only the first weapon available at the beginning of the game, you don't get any of the others quick enough... it's just annoying.

Pretty good, but I have to agree with J-DeV.

This was a good fun game to play. It took me back to the fun of geometry wars.

However, I think you could do away with the 3 strike system and maybe instead have a generous (or upgradable) health bar. By Wave 12, I was beat, I just couldnt avoid the storm of fire. I didnt like how your weapons revert to the standard fire after you died, this makes it hard to continue and you end up finding (as I did by wave 12) that there was no hope in getting anyfurther.

Another aspect I feel you should re-think is the controls. In my opinion, it would be better if you separated the controls for directional movement and line of fire.
In other words, use wasd (and/or arrows) for movement and the mouse just for aiming your fire.

It was still a good game and deserved a 4/5. I cant wait to see a sequel for this.

A classic gone the 'wrong' way

First off let me start by defining a part of a good game (for me at least). A 'good' game is a game in which you are able to lose lives, gain lives, but you must be able to win the game without dying.

This game however, I found myself dying on purpose because it was the only way I could get bombs to beat the waves. Everytime you get hit you lose your weapon upgrades and thereby almost always the ability to survive a wave. The green blob bosses of wave 12 I could only beat by setting off 3 bombs in close perimiter because my shots didn't do enough damage. The wave after that I didn't have any weapon upgrades and my bombs were almost all gone, so there was almost no chance I could beat the following waves either (at which point I let myself die again to get bombs to beat yet one other wave). At wave 15 this got too repetitive and boring so I quit (to write a review which I don't doo too often, so I hope it's useful to you!).

I like the retro style and the colorful effects. The different weapon types are a nice twist as well. I enjoy the soundeffects and the music as well so for the visual and sound I have 'bad' things to say.

One last point of criticism is the fact that you made the controls so that the ship follows the mouse. In some games this is a good way to control your movement. However, in this game, I didn't think it was such a good way. Since your weapons do almost no damage on a low level you should be able to hit your enemies a lot of times. But with the current mouse controls you can't because you are constantly facing away from your enemies because you have to dodge them (especially at wave 12 this is just a bitch).

I liked the previous versions of retroshooter but I feel that it has gone downhill with this version. I read that you are going to push some updates through and I have a few suggestions.

- Try to change the controls a bit, moving with the arrows or WASD and aiming with the mouse would be an option I think.
- Try to find a way so that you don't have to die on purpose to beat yet another wave. One way, maybe, is to get a default weapon upgrade every 10 waves or so. This way your weapon stays with the difficulty of the enemies (which get more difficult the heigher wave you are in I guess?).

I hope you're able to pull it off! Because you, as well as this game, have style ;o) I hope this review can be of use to you.

Cheers, and keep up the good work!

P.S.: I am not a native American/Englishman so my grammar might be a bit off at some points ;)

JGOware responds:

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments. I can defeat the green bubbles (boss wave) everytime without using a bomb. :) And judging by all the high scores now, quite a few people are able to get to the higher levels now in one game span. The idea of "dying so you can restart with bombs" doesn't really do you any good since the goal of the game is high scores, and you restart with a score of 0.

Like I've said before, I think the game just needs an easy mode added so casual peeps can have more fun playing the game. Lesson learned, and this will be added in the first update. :)

Thanks again for your comments. :)

p.s. "but you must be able to win the game without dying"

This is indeed possible. ;) Save your bombs. :)