Reviews for "I Hate Ice Levels"

I Hate This Game

The artwork doesn't look too bad, but isn't anything really great at all either. Your character looks plain as well as the levels, I know that they're all ice levels, but you could've gotten a little bit more creative with it. Next is the animation, it's nothing to go crazy about, but the game does lag from time to time even when set to the lowest quality which when setting it to low quality doesn't make the game change in appearance that much anyways. Next is the gameplay, a creative concept to make each level an ice level where you slip and slide and try not to die, using the camerman to show secret pathways that may look to be spikes is actually pretty cool. However the one thing that cripples this game are the controls. First off moving your character is easy to do, you have to be careful of him slipping and sliding though, but the wall jumping should've been worked on more, I've never had to deal with something so frustrating at times than the wall jumping. The music is good, but it gets annoying really quickly. There are no sound effects, which I believe should've been in a game like this. Overall your little comment of "It's Supposed To Be This Challenging" doesn't cut it for me. This game is kind of broken and for a game in which you only spent only 48 hours on, it shows.

|| Good Points ||

|| Bad Points ||
*No Sound
*Controls - Wall Jumping

Ice levels. Fun... :|

+ Good level design for the most part.
+ The choice of music is pretty good. *Looks at author* No surprise there. ;)
+ Legitimately challenging by design, aside from iffy physics and an occasional unresponsive control.
- The frame rate seems a bit low... hurts my eyes.
- Wall jumps don't always work, mainly when you're moving at high speeds. THIS GETS REALLY FREAKING AWFUL ON LEVEL SEVENTEEN.
- The ice physics aren't all that great, which is a problem when ice physics are the centerpiece of your game. The ice blocks are just a bit too slippery. You also don't seem to lose momentum when you're on ice, which is unusual.
- Sometimes, because of the way the screen scrolls and because of the cameraman, you can't see very far ahead of your character, which can be frustrating.
- You can get stuck on the bottom corners of platforms for a second. Annoying. :|
- I don't know if anyone enjoys guesswork jumps, and there are a few of them in here.
- I KEEP GETTING STUCK ON THE ICE WALLS. >8C F@#$ YOU LEVEL SEVENTEEN!

Overall: Despite its flaws, it's a fun little game and you'll probably get through most of it before you get too frustrated to go on.

Level 17 almost made me lose my cookie (It also made me add caps to my review, and my bottom lip is starting to bleed). I spent almost two hours on it because of all the problems I mentioned above, plus it slows down a lot. Well, it's almost 5 AM and my vision is blurry and I'm blinking five times a second and I can't think anymore whee narwhal, so bed. But first, cookie. And you still owe me that sandwich. :P

Naw

Hm, bad walljump conversion + very walljump-intense levels = probably not the best idea.

The following best describes this:

FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Funny thing about ice levels...

... is the only ones I end up hating are yours. And its not so much the level design as the actual game that holds flaws. Don't get me wrong, it is fun in it's own way, and delivers on the promise of being challenging (albeit for a lot of the wrong reasons), but there are a lot of things holding it back from being a lot better.

The first real flaw is the wall jump game mechanic. Its a great mechanic and adds a lot to the game play and level design, but the mechanic itself doesn't work very well. A lot of times it was unresponsive, and paired with spikes just inches below the space you have to wall jump, trying to wall jump off a touch-and-break type block, or wall jumping above an abyss, its just down right annoying. The worst way to lose in a game is because the game itself isn't working.

The second major flaw is that when running and jumping, particularly on the sliding ice blocks, if you jump and hit blocks above you, at times your character just stops. And sometimes when you land if you hit a certain spot (which seems to be right between two ice blocks), you lose all momentum as well. This doesn't help when you're jumping over spikes, sliding under falling icicles, etc. And it happened a lot, usually resulting in having to start over.

Another gripe is the ice physics themselves. The only thing they did was prevent you from slowing down at all unless you used the arrow keys to change your own momentum, and this idea completely contradicts itself. If there is no friction to slow you down at all, there would also be no friction to change momentum, or to start moving from a stand still. Yet, on the icy blocks, you can take off from a stand still just as if you were standing on regular ground, and you can change your momentum while sliding on ice almost instantly when you press the arrow keys. Couple this with the random stopping bug and it can be troublesome and awkward to maneuver.

The false blocks idea is a great idea, and can give a lot of depth and trickiness to a game. In this game, however, it is completely out of place. For starters, it doesn't really fit the whole "ice level" theme of the game. And secondly, the only way to find trick blocks is usually by falling through them and dying, and having to start over. This is all fine and good in most games, however, in this game, by the time you reach a false block and have to start over, you've likely already died 15 times on glitchy wall jumps, random stopping bugs, and a couple of unfortunate key presses. And then you start over, and it might take you another 15 times just to get back to the false blocks and look for another way to go.

As far as everything else goes, the game itself looked alright. The animation was nothing special, neither were the graphics, but it was tidy and clean looking and served the purpose of the game well. The music was nice, the first time through. After that, it became loud and repetitive, and then there was no way to disable it. Past the music, there was no other sound, and its not really necessary, but always adds a nice touch. The camera man, blinking recording icon, and tv-style pop up dialogues didn't really fit the theme of the game, and were not only a bit unnecessary, but negatively contributed to the performance of the game. The game itself had some uncontrollable lag, even with NG's dim light setting, quality set to lowest, and a high performance computer. Paired with everything else in the game, to die because lag threw off the timing of the game is ultimately annoying.

In all, it seems like 90% of the time, it's not player versus level difficulty, but player versus game performance difficulty. It's actually sad, because this could easily rate much higher without some of the bugs and other flaws. Its obvious a good amount of work went into it, especially to create it in only 48 hours, but as it is right now, too many things stick out to rate it much higher.