Reviews for "SRM Star Wars Holiday!"

Redesign?

Wow, if you're upping the ante, by shifting to Frame By Frame, you've made a good step with this one. Not only have you exposed the conspiracy of George Lucas' tyrannical companies and their dreams of World Domination, via capitalism, but you've shown what a great animatior that you've become over the past few years. Granted, it's only a few months since I started viewing and reviewing your work, but the progress is astounding.

The writing is good too, with the addition of Chewbacca's son, Lumpy into this latest foray, but it's good, without breaching copyright laws, which would have LucasFilm's own team of Lawyers flying over there in their TIE-Fighter, quicker than you can say Carrie Fisher is fat.

The call backs are first rate, with the fact that Jethro is on screen, as he is on your profile and SRMClock is in fact an ornamental clock in this piece, keeping himself occupied with indicating the passage of time.

A nice shout out to the three newer movies of the Star Wars franchise, which shows that subtlety is a nice art that you're using, which certainly compliments a nice shovel full of irony, as well.

Keep up the good work - I'm not fussed with which way you take it, as there are great outlets for both FBF and "traditional" animation, though I can tell from your icons all over your profile that you prefer this episode in general.

[Review Request Club]

Battosai810 responds:

I liked that the writing was more subtle in this cartoon than in some others - I know some of my other cartoons kind of hit you over the head with random humor and whatnot. Personally my favorite joke in this toon is the "Dargonball" one, but Engrish usually gets me pretty good.

I'm always happy to put Jebediah or SRMClock into the background. You'll see one or both of them in the backgrounds of my next few toons in one place or another. My opinions on this episode kind of flip flop depending on how I feel - sometimes I think it's too wordy, and sometimes I think it's clever. The animation is really crude compared to how my next few toons look though, especially the new SRM toon that will be out before Christmas.

Anyway, think of this cartoon as SRM's awkward puberty between the symbols and the more refined style of my next few cartoons.

I like the other animation style MUCH better.

This seems unprofessional. But the actual toon is not that bad. 8/10

Battosai810 responds:

Give it some time to develop - I'm sure I can change your mind :)
Also, if it's an 8/10, why did you give me a 7? Not complaining, just sort of bewildering.

just thought id tell u

this got me thinking... if it had your animation style i would have gaave it 10/10 5/5 but this was kinda visualy unappealing so i had to knock a few points of sorry. 7/10 3/5

Battosai810 responds:

Eh, trying something new. As an animator, my old style is painfully lifeless, and it's really refreshing to actually draw things frame by frame. Give it time - after a few more animations I think it could grow on you :)

Movieclips are better

Those Movieclips made SRM, SRM!

Battosai810 responds:

But they're so stiff! I've actually taken two really good animation classes since I made this cartoon, and I have plans for a really awesome SRM toon coming up. I think this time it will be a LOT better.

2/5 and 5/10

Okay, if this is your first foray into frame-by-frame, then it's really good...as far as the animation goes. Sound effects and voices are decent as well. For what it's worth, I'm a Madness junky, and I like to see more action. There just wasn't enough going on in this to really make me sit up and say "hey, this is cool."

As far as the story/plot goes, I didn't find it all that funny. Mildly amusing, yes, but not slap-the-desk and clutch-my-sides funny.

Please don't feel discouraged by my low marks, this is a good piece of work, I just didn't find the total content of everything put together to be worth more than a mediocre rating. Don't let that get to you, I'm very picky about giving out 3s and 4s, and I almost never give out a 5 (only if I can find nothing wrong with it does it get a 5). You have excellent animating and flash talent, far beyond anything I could produce. Keep up the good work. I would suggest getting some friends to proofread your script, perhaps write a script (if you didn't), and don't ever quit. You can go places with the skills you have.

Battosai810 responds:

Thanks for the nice big review! I really like it when I get some honest constructive criticism.

I'll agree with you that this isn't a really "action packed" animation. It's rather low-key, and making it was mostly about exploring new techniques and for cathartic effect. I do wish I had a better script written out for this one. As far as ideas go, this wasn't a terribly refined one. This was just a fun experiment and an animation to tide people over before I made something big. I assure you, some big cartoons are going to be coming in the next few months!

I don't plan on ever quitting - I'm going to college to learn to become a better animator, and this was practice for the bigger projects I'll have coming ahead of me. Thanks for your enthusiasm and honest critique!