Reviews for "Tarboy"

I thought the story was stupid and cheesy and the old man telling the story was equally as annoying. I hope to never see this become a series. Just my opinion.

Mixed really

As a newgrounds user, I can clearly see that this is a quality flash, with no flaws whatsoever.

But as a human, I just don't like it. Something about it rubs me the wrong way, and in my opinion, doesn't deserve to be the best of all time. But thats just because I don't like it.

what?

ok, ive watched this 2 times trying to find anything the least bit entertaining in the entire flash and ill admit it has very good animation, but the story has been overdone and its not very original. IMO it does not deserve being at the top of the list. its not funny at all. i remember when the top submisions were actaully worth watching.

Essentially a badly written cliché

There isn't much to say about this. I'm sure so many Tarboy fanboys are going to attack me for writing this, but at least I get my point across.

So, let's start with the good aspects.
The art style was phenomenal, and the sound effects were enticing to say the least, the music was well-synced with the animation and the music its self was actually really good, especially the jazz portion. The animation flowed smoothly and the voice acting was way above par.

But why a 4, you ask?
Well, this is a flash movie. You got the flash part down, but didn't quite get the movie part down. The story was aggravating: Why exactly were the robots down there? Did they have nothing better to do? Were they digging for resources? Were they expanding for an underground kingdom? What was this 'new and improved' way, exactly? How did memory chips form to become a living piece of tar, capable of abstract thought (revenge)? I also think hard drive would have been a better way to describe the memory chips, it more accurately reflects memory (because that's where everything in a computer is stored), but that isn't exactly a major flaw in the story, it's just me nitpicking. The story is filled with plot holes (how did they figure out his weakness, he killed everyone he saw!) and the story was painful to sit through. If it weren't for the artwork, I wouldn't even be able to sit through writing a review this thorough for it with it playing in the background.

Come to think of it, this is exactly the same as Waterlollies, the art and sound was beyond great, but the entire concept of a 'movie' is missed in both of these pieces. I can't really see how so many people like this. I can tell a lot of work went into it, and that's great, I respect that. Obviously, not enough work went into it though.

Since the story is the most important part of any movie (cloverfield anyone?), this gets six points off.

What

I really don't understand why people like this so much. I gave it a three only because the animation was pretty good (note: PRETTY GOOD). The story line is quite stupid and makes little sense, and the music at the beginning legitimately makes me angry due to the story telling that goes along with it. Maybe it just isn't for me, but I think people need to examine it a bit more.