This game belongs in the 9th circle of hell
Let's start with the good things about this game:
- The box art is well done, it really makes it feel like a classic game.
- This game is VERY challenging
Now on to the bad things about this game:
- The game has around Atari quality graphics. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if you were going for the spirit of SMB2, I would expect at least a little more effort.
- The jumping momentum in this game is terrible. Jumping forward while running is fine, but trying to jump forward from a standstill will result in such a miniscule gain in distance, you'll wonder why you even bothered jumping in the first place. This wouldn't be too big of an issue, except there are far too many jumps you need to make while standing on a single block, making it incredibly difficult to gain enough forward momentum for a decent jump.
- The collision with some of the baddies appears to be really badly done. The crabs and porcupines are fine, but I've had tons of issues with the snails and armadillos. Jumping onto a snail shell often kills me for no reason, to the point where I just try to avoid them as much as possible. The armadillos are by far the worst, as jumping on them can cause unpredictable results. When jumping on the center of an armadillo, I've seen it either curl into a ball, immediately start rolling, kill me without affecting it, or start rolling and kill me at the same time.
- The collision with the missles is also poorly done. Half the time I simply pass right through them.
- Jumping into the ceiling causes you to show up at the bottom. While this is a cool feature in theory, it was very poorly executed in this game. If only part of your character shows up at the bottom, you drop back down from the ceiling. However, if your entire character appears at the bottom, you'll drop back down and instantly die rather than fall from the ceiling again.
- The lack of checkpoints or levels makes this game even more frustrating with only 1 life.
- You have ads show up after a certain number of deaths. I didn't know this myself since ad-block took care of it (I just had a "PLEASE HOLD" message in the bottom corner), but one of my friends mentioned this to me. No one wants to see ads even in good games, to put ads here is just adding insult to injury.
I know you wanted to make a game in the spirit of SMB2, but the main problem is that SMB2 was actually FUN while still being difficult. Your game is so frustratingly awful that it feels more like I'm being tortured than playing a game. The only way I was able to reach the end was to repeat it so many times that the majority of the game was done with muscle memory, and even then there were some parts that required such precise timing that it was difficult even with practice. I got the Beetle Battle medal so I'd at least have something to show for spending so much time on this game, but I have no desire AT ALL to obtain the secret medal.