For the month of April we have disabled ads on all E-M content. We need 29 people to reach our goal of 3,000 active supporters. If we hit that, we'll continue with a new goal in May!

Reviews for "Children's Overture"

AWESOME! :D

Thank you my friend!

I like it!
Feels like soundtrack to a movie or something!

That's the feel I was going for! Thanks. :D

The orchestra are the best!

I think so too! Thanks. :D

This reminded me very much of Michael Giacchino's score to Up (amazing soundtrack to an incredible film, in case you haven't seen it). This track was not-quite-pop, not-quite-jazz, and not-quite-cinematic... it sounded like one of those fun compositions from the post-romantic / mid-impressionistic period.

I LOVE the score to Up! That comparison makes me oh so very happy. <3

As far as genre, I tried to be cinematic with my orchestration, yet "pop-like" with my melodic material. At the same time, I tried to use some jazzy chord progressions (a bit of a lydian feel here and there, lots of borrowed chords, chromatic bass lines, etc). I have no idea what to label it, so I'll stick with yours.

Thanks for the review! :D

Here is your personal review for round 2 of the NGADM! Keep in mind, this review will be harsher than the round 1 review! I will be poking at songs more in each consecutive round, because it will naturally be more difficult to advance.

The Good:
-Oh my gosh this reminds me so much of something that I can't remember. It's like the largest feeling of deja vu ever. Mainly the chords and staccato in the woodwinds.
-I love how you build up the piece, it's very nice.
-Personally, I don't think your samples are bad at all. Though since I don't make orchestral music and personally consider soundfonts to be adequate, that might not be the biggest compliment.
-The staccato in the woodwinds is something I don't normally hear in music.
-Mixing is fine by me.

The Not-So-Good:
-The development of the piece, while being a great buildup, really could either use some reiteration of the main melody toward the end or an extension and a drop of tension more than the sudden ending you had.
-The ending of this is... well, I'm sure you already know it - it's not too good. Could have used quite a bit of improvement.

Overall: I really really really like this. I think I'll give it a 8.8/10 if you promise to develop your song more, particularly giving a proper ending to it.

BlazingDragon responds:

I've had two different people tell me it sounds like the music from UP!, so I might have been subconsciously hearing that as I composed! I can't remember the music except from the fact that I loved it, so I'll need to go back and listen...

And yes, I definitely know about the ending. I had this epic idea in mind but could not figure out how to execute it for the life of me. After this contest is over, I plan on going back and giving this piece some TLC.

Thank you for the review! It is much appreciated.