Reviews for "Children's Overture"

I like it!
Feels like soundtrack to a movie or something!

That's the feel I was going for! Thanks. :D

AWESOME! :D

Thank you my friend!

In short, this is a hasty masterpiece that was perhaps a bit rushed in my opinion. When I heard the opening, it threw my imagination into a world of excitement and unlimited opportunities, and then from then on, it just rushed. I can feel the emotions and wonder and innocence, but it was perhaps too short. But then again, you did explain that you didn't have time as you were rushing it in for an entry into the Newgrounds Audio Deathmatch 2012.

I definitely can't wait to hear the full version of this song!!!

BlazingDragon responds:

I had two weeks to compose a piece for the contest but didn't have any ideas that I particularly wanted to stick with. The second to last day before the deadline, I went out and bought 24GB of RAM for my computer and found that I could finally run a full orchestra without my computer crapping out. Improving on my MIDI controller with a staccato clarinet sound, I played with main motif of this piece and felt so inspired that I stayed up until 2:00 AM composing. I was gone much of the next day about only had five more hours available to put it.

My desire was to make this piece much longer and smartly paced. I even brainstormed ideas while I was out during the day and wrote down the entire song structure I planned, but once I got home and started working, I realized there was no way the whole idea could be realized in such a short time frame. I rushed like crazy and ended up posting this three minutes before the deadline. There are several things that I'd like to change, but I'm still very happy with the result.

Thank you for taking the time to review! Hopefully I'll do this piece some justice sometime within the next two months.

This reminded me very much of Michael Giacchino's score to Up (amazing soundtrack to an incredible film, in case you haven't seen it). This track was not-quite-pop, not-quite-jazz, and not-quite-cinematic... it sounded like one of those fun compositions from the post-romantic / mid-impressionistic period.

I LOVE the score to Up! That comparison makes me oh so very happy. <3

As far as genre, I tried to be cinematic with my orchestration, yet "pop-like" with my melodic material. At the same time, I tried to use some jazzy chord progressions (a bit of a lydian feel here and there, lots of borrowed chords, chromatic bass lines, etc). I have no idea what to label it, so I'll stick with yours.

Thanks for the review! :D